Loading

Five things to eat before you die


The Traveler's Lunchbox
is compiling a brilliant list of 5 things everyone must eat in their life. It's a difficult task to narrow the choices, but here are five of my favorite things.

1. Refried beans from Las Manitas, Austin, TX.
These beans are divine, cooked and smashed as they were meant to be--in bacon grease. They go down like velvet.
2. Ninfa's green sauce, at the original Ninfa's on Navigation, Houston, TX.
Ninfa's has become a huge chain, but the original restaurant still feels cozy and well, original. Her green sauce is spectacular--it's not very hot, but it's a superb blend of tomatillos, cilantro, jalapenos and sour cream. Goes great with her homemade flour tortillas or freshly fried crisp tortilla chips. I could eat gallons of this stuff.
3. Tapas at Cal Pep, Barcelona
I love all Spanish tapas, and have never had a bad plate. When I lived in Granada 16 years ago, tapas came free with your drink, but now the custom is you pay separately for each small dish. But no matter, it's a small price to pay for some amazing food. One place that stands out in my memory is Cal Pep in Barcelona. Less bar and more diner, you sit at the counter and Pep doles out a splendid array of Spanish tapas, everything from smoked meat to fried fish. There's no menu--he decides what you eat, which is part of the fun. And it's all very fresh and tasty.
4. Fresh oysters in October, Le Baron Rouge, Paris
On Sundays, an oyster farmer from Normandy sets up a table outside of wine bar Le Baron Rouge, and locals stand around drinking chilled Muscadet and eating fresh oysters. It's heavenly.
5. My grandma's chocolate pie, McKinney, TX
All of my grandma's pies are terrific, but her chocolate pie is la piece de resistance. A dark-chocolate custard sits on a flaky, slightly salty crust, all topped with peaks of airy merignue. I dream about this pie, and I only wish I lived closer so I could indulge more often.
Follow RecipesDream