Loading

Walnut and Sage Potatoes AuGratin CrockPot Recipe


Day 85.

This was our Easter contribution this year. We were set to have Easter at our house, but then the flu hit.

Hard.

We're actually still recovering.

So Adam technically made this, since he was the only non-germified person in the house. I talked him through it from a fetal position on the couch.

He is still healthy, which is actually getting a tad bit annoying.


I followed a recipe for this that I found on Gluten-Free Bay, an excellent website for the gluten-challenged.



The Ingredients.

--1/4 cup flour (I used Pamela's)
--6 medium potatoes
--1/2 yellow onion, diced
--1 stick of butter
--1 t salt
--1/4 t black pepper
--2 1/2 cups milk or cream (I tried to do a mixture of both, but discovered the milk had expired. So I used all heavy cream. I'm sorry, mom!)
--1 t dried sage
--1 1/2 cups of shredded gruyere cheese (swiss could work)
--1-2 handfuls of walnut halves (could be optional, but then you'd have to change the name)


The Directions.


--tell your husband to peel and cut the potatoes in 1/4 inch slices. Marvel at how exact he is. Make a mental note to have him do this more often.
--have him dice the onion too.
--melt butter in a microwavebale bowl, and slowly wisk in flour until there aren't any lumps.
--add the milk/cream to the butter and milk bowl.
--add all of your spices to the butter and milk bowl.
--spray the inside of your crockpot stoneware with a bit of cooking oil
--begin layering the potatoes, onion and the milk mixture in the crockpot
--layer until everything has been used up.
--shred all of the gruyere and dump on top of the potatoes, flattening if need-be with your hand.
--sprinkle with a bit more sage

--add a handful or two of walnut halves
--cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours.

I used my mom's 4 qt round Rival for this and it took exactly 4 hours, with perfectly tender potatoes.




The Verdict.

I only ate a bite or two of this, because I wasn't feeling very well. The reports from the family was that it was very good, very rich, and very buttery. I thought it needed a bit more salt; they thought not, but suggested less butter next time.

Thank you again, to Gluten-Free Bay!

Follow RecipesDream