Loading

CrockPot 16 Bean Soup Recipe


Day 99.


I have walked by the bags of soup mix in the grocery store a hundred million times. I've even picked one up, read the print on the bag, and taken it for a ride in the shopping cart. But then I chicken out and put it back on the shelf with it's friends.

It just seemed like a lot of work.

I, um, actually don't really enjoy work. I'd really like a house full of forest creatures like in Snow White or in Enchanted to come do it all for me so I can spin around in circles singing. So far the closest I've gotten to that dream is a six-year-old wearing a two-sizes-too-small rooster Halloween costume running around with a feather duster...

but it's a nice dream, nonetheless.

Okay, back to the soup. I was ecstatic when April emailed me to let me know about the 16-bean soup her amazing daughter Alecksandra makes in the crockpot. By herself. And she's eight. And she probably doesn't even shed.

Alecksandra rocks.



The Ingredients.
Alecksandra's version:
--1 bag of soup mix
--1 onion
--1 packet of onion soup mix
--water
--cook on low all day long


I didn't have any onion soup mix in the house. And since I wasn't expecting any woodland creatures yesterday, I made due with what I had in the pantry.
--1 bag of soup mix (if it comes with a flavor packet, throw it away. The ingredients are scary.)
--1 onion
--3 cloves chopped garlic
--2 t of your favorite spice rub
--can of Italian-style tomatoes
--water
--salt (add the salt at the last minute, a teaspoon at a time, according to taste)

It is up to you how much water you use. I did not measure, but covered the beans completely and filled the 6qt oval crockpot two to three inches from the top. If you want more broth, use more water, if you want it thick and beany, use less.

The Directions.

cook on low all day. Soup tastes the best the longer you cook it, and it tastes even better the next day.

The Verdict.


this was healthy, filling and flavorful. I am thrilled to have lunch for the next week. The kids picked out their favorite beans and liked that I sprinkled parmesan on top. I can't wait until they can yield a knife like Alecksandra!




I served the soup along with these little guys.




Follow RecipesDream