Loading

CrockPot Eggplant "Parmesan" with Feta Recipe



Day 94.


I really like eggplant. A lot of people (like the 3 others in the house) don't like eggplant, and I don't really get why. Eggplant tastes great grilled, stewed, baked, stir-fried, or crockpotted.

This is my favorite way to eat it---loaded with pasta sauce and cheese. Although I am calling this eggplant parmesan, there isn't actually any parmesan cheese at all---unless you sprinkle some on the top before eating. I have also omitted the layers of mozzarella and opted for feta, which instantly lightens the dish and creates a fun, tart flavor.



The Ingredients.
--1 large-ish eggplant
--1 bottle of your favorite pasta sauce
--1/4 cup olive oil
--1/4 cup bread crumbs (my mom cuisinarted a loaf of brown rice bread for us. I keep a bag of it in the freezer.)
--2 t Italian seasoning
--1/2 t kosher salt
--1/4 t black pepper
--1/2 brick of feta, crumbled

The Directions.

--wash eggplant and slice in 1/2 inch thick pieces. Don't peel.
--pour 1 cup or so of the pasta sauce into the bottom of your crockpot
--combine bread crumbs and seasonings in a shallow dish (I used a pie plate)
--paint both sides of each eggplant slice with olive oil
--dredge eggplant slices with the bread crumb mixture. This is a good job for a 3-year-old. But you have to not really watch or you'll have a panic attack about the breadcrumbs all over the counter and the floor. So you will leave the room and check email. It's better that way--trust me.
--stagger eggplant pieces in layers into the crockpot, on top of the marinara that you already poured in
--cover with slices with the rest of the jar of sauce
--crumble the feta all over the top of the sauce

cover crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or high for 3-4. This doesn't take very long to cook, so if you need to be out of the house, go with the low setting.

serve with your favorite pasta.


The Verdict.


I adored this. It's good I did, because there is quite a bit leftover. Adam ate it to be polite, but I have a sneaky suspicion he's going to want a cheeseburger later. The kids had buttered pasta and frozen peas.

Follow RecipesDream