Loading

CrockPot Tamale Pie Recipe


Day 115.


Happy Slow Cooker Thursday!

Please stop by Diary of a Stay at Home Mom and visit Sandra and the rest of the slow-cooking participants.



I am so excited to share this recipe---it worked really well, and was incredibly easy. I was thrilled that the cornbread topping set so nicely and it complimented the flavor of the filling perfectly.

I was inspired by this post from Lorie a month ago or so during slow-cooking Thursday. I get the best ideas from reading blogs!



The Ingredients.

Cornbread topping:
--3/4 cup cornmeal
--1 1/4 cup flour (I used Pamela's baking mix)
--1 cup milk
--1/4 cup sugar
--1 egg
--1 t baking powder (only if not using Pamela's or similar gluten free baking mix that already has baking powder added)


The Filling.


I chose to make this vegetarian because I put this on at 6am and had no interest whatsoever in browning meat that early in the morning. I was lucky my slippers were on the right feet. You, however, can add 1lb of your favorite browned meat if you'd like.


--1 can drained and rinsed black beans
--1 can fire roasted tomatoes
--1 can drained corn
--1 T chili powder
--1 t cumin
--1/2 t paprika
--1/4 cup diced onion (I had some leftover in the fridge from a previous dish)
--1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese



The Directions.

Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Dump in the filling ingredients--cheese, too!-- and stir well to distribute the spices. You will not be able to stir this again, so please check to see that the spices aren't in a clump anywhere.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a spatula if needed.

Cover and cook on low for 4-7 hours or on high for 2-4. I was shocked at how quickly this cooked. I set it on low and expected it to take about 8, but it was all brown and golden and perfectly crispy at the 6hr mark. So we ate it for lunch!


The Verdict.

The kids at first only ate the cornbread topping, but then discovered that the beans and the corn were tasty and ate the rest. This was a nice, hearty meal that didn't leave me over-full. I am totally going to make this again.

next year. :-)
Follow RecipesDream