Loading

CrockPot Vietnamese Roasted Chicken Recipe



Day 182.

We eat a LOT of chicken in our house. I grew up on boneless, skinless chicken, and we had it quite often. When I started cooking and shopping for my own family, I followed suit and make sure that we have plenty of chicken parts in the freezer.

The problem with eating a lot of chicken is that you get bored.

Really bored. And you start to hate chicken.


and maybe you begin to kind of want to gouge your eyeballs out with a fork at the idea of another boring dry chicken meal.

This is not a boring dry chicken meal. This is the opposite. This chicken is juicy, full-of-flavor, and downright adventurous.


I was inspired by reading this post at Sunday Nite Dinner. I still have fish sauce in the house from when I made the Pho, and was excited to have another use.


The Ingredients.

Adapted from Sunday Nite Dinner.

--4-6 chicken thighs (my thighs had skin and bones)
--1 1/2 Tbl gluten free soy sauce
--1 1/2 Tbl fish sauce
--1 1/2 tsp white sugar
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--4 cloves chopped garlic
--1 Tbl canola oil
--foil (optional)

The Directions.

I tried the foil trick of balling up pieces of aluminum foil to line the bottom of the crock in order to create a crispy skin. It didn't really work, but it was a fun experiment.

I put the chicken on top of the foil balls.

Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl, and pour over the top of the chicken. My chicken was frozen solid and I worried that the flavor wouldn't sink in as nicely as it would if I had marinated it for a while--it was fine.

Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours, or on high for 3-4. The cooking time is dependent on how thick your chicken pieces are, and if they are fresh or frozen.

The Verdict.

Make this. Eat this.

The skin didn't get crispy the way that I was hoping it might by using the foil balls. But, the chicken was moist and fell apart---the sauce is an amazing flavor that I haven't had before. I will definitely make this again. I'd like to try the sauce on drumettes as an appetizer.

We ate it over white rice---and practically licked the remaining sauce out of the crock.

super yummy.


Follow RecipesDream