Loading

Beetroot Kurma ~ Curry Mela!

Do you like Beetroot? I didn't for a greater part of my life. Amma had never somehow prepared this much at home. Well I have actually never asked the reasons. But since I never eat this growing up, continued so when I had my own kitchen.After Konda came into picture, we have been trying to include most of the vegetables. Though this again played no part in our list. All those were the days, before Athamma came to live with us.

One day, when I couldn't get back home early to cook the dinner, she said she will prepare something. I didn't really ask what she had in mind.When I reached home, I was quite curious to know what she had prepared. On starting at the bowl, I was shocked to find something RED, staring back at me. Now I can't actually shout my top out to ask why she made it right. So very coolly asked her, what's in the bowl. Well she is a cool lady you know, so she said since she couldn't find anything interesting in fridge for dinner, she got Beetroot. So she decided to make Beetroot Kurma. Since then, it followed us for many days. Whenever Athamma got a chance to cook, it was Beetroot kurma. Gosh, maybe I have come to like it too, but I wont' accept it, Ok!

Then followed with kurma, we even got ourselves drink beetroot juice, poriyals, salads. We have come a long way, I guess. Anyway kurma was what I prepared couple of days back, when we had a tough choice on deciding which vegetable to cook, thinking on Beetroot was simplest!



Ingredients Needed:

Beetroot - 1 big
Onions - 1 medium
Tomatoes - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Coconut paste - 2 tbsp
Clove - 1
Cinnamon - 1"
Curry leaves
Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Oil -1 tsp

Method to prepare:

Peel and cube the beetroot. Pressure cook it till soft. Keep it aside.

Heat a pan with oil. Add curry leaves. Then sauté finely chopped onions till pink, then add ginger garlic paste. Fry well till the onions are brown.

Then add the chopped tomatoes, fry well. Add turmeric, salt, chili powder, coriander powder. Simmer till the tomatoes are soft. then add the cooked beetroot.

Simmer for 5 mins. Then add the coconut paste along with 1 cup water. Bring to boil and simmer till it thickens.

Serve with chapatis.

This goes for my Curry Mela.

I know you would be interested to check out the new category called Others. I have added it just today, to the Food Blog List. Well though I had wanted to categorize them as such, I was promted more by the bloggers themselves. So check out!


Sending this to Sunshinemom who is hosting an event on Food Colour, this month being RED

And to EC, who is hosting WYF event, which is Food colour this month. Thanks ladies for coming up with such ideas!
Follow RecipesDream