Loading

CrockPot Chocolate Mousse Recipe


Day 206.

Sometimes I get emails with questions like "are you really going to do this for a whole year?" "are you worried you're going to get bored?" "don't you go stir-crazy sometimes?"

I answer: yes, yes, and yes. But then I make something that I never would have attempted to make if it wasn't for this silly challenge, and it opens my mind to the endless possibilities of the crockpot and I re-commit to the insanity for at least another day.

Yesterday, my friends, I made mousse. The most delightfully wonderful chocolate mousse ever.

In the crockpot.

And when it worked I went out in the yard and did a back flip. Sort of. It was really more like a really bad cartwheel with a really bad landing, but the kids insisted it was a back flip. I'm kind of hopped up on Advil right now, actually...

and as soon as I hit publish, I'm going back to bed. With mousse. Today is going to rock.

The Ingredients.
loosely adapted from Epicurious

--2 cups heavy whipping cream
--4 large egg yolks
--3 T baker's sugar (I like baker's sugar because the granules dissolve quickly)
--1/3 cup cold, strong coffee
--1 t vanilla
--2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips


The Directions.

This is not hard. Go read how hard it could be over at Epicurious. I love my crockpot.

I used a 4 qt round crockpot. If you use a larger one, your stuff will melt and cook faster; be aware.

In your crockpot, add the heavy cream, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and coffee. Whip until combined with a whisk. You don't need to go crazy, just mix it well. Add the two cups of chocolate chips.

Cover and cook on high for about an hour, or on low for about two. You are looking for little bubbles in the surface of the cream, and melted chocolate.

VERY VERY VERY VERY carefully, pour the mixture into a blender. You'll get about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of liquid. Blend on high until it "grows" to about 5 to 6 cups, and doesn't seem like it will rise any higher.

Pour into serving dishes.

Chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Top with whipped cream or berries, or nothing at all.


The Verdict.

It's not bad that I didn't let the kids have any because it had coffee in it, right? That doesn't make me mean, does it? They were already eating cake...

Adam said that this rivaled any restaurant mousse he's had. The Lewis family came over and they enjoyed it---and Carol let her kids have a taste because she is much nicer than I am.

Two things to note: the very top has a bit of a skin on it, and there are little bubbles that didn't pop during the cooling process. This kind of bothered me, but I was assured that I was the only one bothered.

okay! back to bed! with a spoon.
Follow RecipesDream