Loading

Prawn Curry for Curry Mela and a Plum Heart!

Today's post is a special from my Dad. When I told him about the Curry Mela, he was very eager for Amma to cook some non veg for Breakfast. For that he even got all the things required and everything was done on my behalf. There is a new super market that opened in Anna Nagar, its a huge Seafood super market and you can expect to get anything and everything in that place. I haven't see that place, not that I ever venture into a non veg shop, but heard that it is really huge. So Dad went shopping at this place and got these fresh prawns. Amma makes an awesome Prawn Biryani, which hubby dear is very fond of. I haven't learnt the recipe from her yet. But Dad keeps telling me that I should record that recipe.

Coming to this prawn curry, Amma prepared and they were all ready for their breakfast. But as most Sunday mornings, I was busy with the kids. So asked Dad to click the pictures. All I had to work on these pictures were resizing and putting up my name. Wow, such a simple task for me. In fact, Dad clicked so many for me to choose from.

Before I go to the recipe, I wanted to share a picture of a plum we got in the batch, that was in heart shape. It was so cute and just like a heart shape. I had to click it. It was pretty late in the night, still I thought I shall just take a click before it disappears. Know what, Athamma next days saw it and told me to take a picture to share it with my blogger friends. Looks like the entire family is focused on what my blogger friends like!

Prawn Curry

Prawn - 500 gms (before cleaning)
Oil - 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Clove - 1
Cinnamon - 1 "
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onions - 2 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Salt to taste
Turmeric a pinch
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Water - 250 ml
Coconut Milk - 100 ml
Coriander leaves for garnish

Method to prepare:

Clean the prawns and let it drain.

Heat a pan with oil, add cumin seeds, then add the ginger garlic paste to the oil. Fry for 1 min, then add cloves, cinnamon. and fennel seeds. Fry for 1 min

Then add finely chopped onions. Sauté till they turn pink. Then add tomatoes. Fry till they become mushy. Then add the prawns, Fry on high flame till they are well mixed. Add salt and turmeric. Simmer for 5 mins. Water will come out of the prawns, fry till it evaporates.

Then add the chili powder, Coriander powder. Simmer for 5 mins. Oil should come out by now. Then add 250 ml water. Bring to boil. Let it boil for 10 mins, by when the water will go down to 100 ml. It depends on the thickness you want in the gravy. Then finally add the thick coconut milk and bring to boil.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with pooris.

This can be done without adding the coconut milk too.

This is another entry for Curry Mela, this time cooked by my mom!

Dad wanted to say this tasted great with Pooris! You can serve this with Ghee Rice or with Chapatis.
Follow RecipesDream