Loading

Stuffed Peas Poori ~ Deep Fried Delights!

Did I tell you about the incident that happened a while ago? Well I don't remember if I did or not, but wanted to share it anyway. One afternoon, while I was at lunch with my colleagues, I happened to get a call from Lax. It wasn't a call I would like to avoid nor take right then. I thought I shall manage and started talking to her. My colleagues knew I was foodie, I didn't want to confirm that my friends are too! I tried for the most time, managing with Aaa, Ohh..I am sure Lak thought I was crazy! But in the end, I couldn't manage without uttering Cookies, Bread and cakes, couple of times.

When I was finally off the call, I could feel strange looks coming my way. I saw them looking at me very strangely. I managed saying " Ah that's my friend asking something." They wouldn't let me off until I explained. Ok, that's my friend, who baked a batch of Cookies and Brownies and wanted to drop them at my place. I saw their jaws dropping down! They asked why would she want to do that? Well you know, she wanted some guinea pig, so I am so graciously offered to help out' said I! They said after looking at each other " err..aww..would your friend mind accepting two willing guinea pig by any chance? I shrugged unconcerned and said, "Yeah well, maybe. I shall ask her the next time I meet her. Well technically I haven't met Lak after that incident! But I knew that's still top of my colleagues mind!

Anyway coming to today's recipe, I promised Latha that I will make something for her. And this being the last week, I had to get something on the way. Couple of days back, after I got the kids to bed, I was back at the computer trying to figure out what to do next, when Athamma came to chat with me. While I was so blissfully glazing at the monitor, she was vigorously accounting her adventure through the day! I could hear couple of her words registering my mind, but I wasn't giving full attention to her, until I heard hubby dear yell from the other room! I turned and said well what's it Athamma?

Athamma : Well, I saw the lady in today's cooking show make some something with Custard and added Tomato Puree to it.

Hubby dear yelled back(from the next room) "Amma don't you dare think of making something like that!"

Me : (Well Athamma does get carried away).Ok, forget abt that Custard, you tell me something now. Have we made all the breakfast dishes we know? Think of something that we may not have done?

Athamma (thinks for a moment) : How about Poori and Potato Masala?

I gave up my diligence and turned to reply. Athamma, I make Poori about 4 times a month and potato masala obviously gets done atleast once, you think I wouldn't posted that?

Athamma (still pondering) How about Vankai Uurulagadda Kura?

Me: Athamma, that being your fondest dish, I obviously would've posted it

She gave me couple more ideas, and I knew she was sleepy! I finally I decided I am going to make those delicious peas stuffed pooris. I tell you, nothing can beat it!

As far as I know, this is a bengali special, that I had in my first trip to Calcutta and again homemade ones during my second! And is made only with All purpose Flour/ Maida. I made with a mix of both atta and maida.

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Cuisine : Bengali

For making : 8 pooris

Ingredients Needed:

For Pooris, Dough made with 1: 1 Maida & Atta

For Filling:

Dry / Fresh Peas - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 3/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Amchur Powder (Dry Mango pw) - 1 /2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp


Method to prepare:

If you are using fresh peas, you need not soak it. You can directly pressure cook it. If the peas are very fresh, you can use raw puree itself.

I used dry peas and soaked for 5 hrs. Pressure cook it with 1 cup water. Drain the peas, store the water for kneading the dough.

Once the peas are cool, grind to a smooth paste. Heat a pan with oil. Add the puree and all the masalas. Cook in sim, till the peas are well cooked. Have a look at the peas paste, as it tends to get burnt and stuck to the pan. Once its well cooked, remove and allow it to cool.

Next knead the dough, with the remaining water and keep it ready. Dough for the pooris should not rest for long.

Divide the stuffing into small balls. And repeat the same with the dough. Follow the steps as you do for any stuffed parathas.

Heat oil in a kadai. The oil should be hot before you want to fry pooris. Gently slide the rolled out pooris. Lightly press on the pooris, so that it gets cooked on all sides. These do not puff because of the stuffing. When you are done on both sides, remove on a kitchen paper.

With just curds and Avakkai pickle, this was a plate of heavenly indulgence! This is the first time I making it for hubby dear and he liked it a lot. He said this has to be included in the regulars!

Sorry for the longish post, but I inking with lots of stuff. Sending these Peas stuffed Pooris to lovely Latha who does magic with Masala for her WBB, an event started by Nandita of Saffron Trail.

Update: OMG, I really seem to have missed out Poori with Potato Masala. I searched for a long time with no result. My next task to to sort my Recipe Index and post the Poori Kilangu!
Follow RecipesDream