Loading

Paneer Makhani ~ Indian Cottage Cheese in buttery Sauce!

How many ways do I proclaim my love to thee? Well this is another way to Ok, this is yet another way to show my love for Paneer. And this is indulging in extremes. I normally make Paneer Butter Masala every other week as Konda is very fond of it. Though I personally can't make much difference between the dish term Paneer Makhani and Paneer Butter Masala, I do mark a difference in not adding cream in PBM. While this dish is not something I make regularly as I use both butter and Cream. Well I guess once in a while we do need to indulge, though this becomes a regular fare at home. I am trying to reduce all these rich dishes on weekdays.One, its difficult to prepare these back from work, other, its too rich to sleep on it!

But special occasion needs special dishes. Happy Cook and I have exchanged many mails and chat often. She is one of those good friends I have through blogging. So I was looking froward to meet her when she said she was visiting India and it was a great pleasure finally meeting her. Though she was not sure if she will visit my city, finally they were able to make it. They were here for couple of days and I managed to invite them home for dinner. It was so wonderful meeting her and her family. They are such wonderful people, so lively and entertaining. The kids got to them so fast. Infact HC got them to her side, when she dug the Cadbury's Gems out of her bag and offered them! So I planned to make Jeera rice, Paneer Makhani and a Chicken fry for the main course. As the time was short and it was really hectic that day, as just that day the twins decided that they wanted me to carry them all the time. Still we managed to get things done on time and had a great time spending with them. I only hoped they also enjoyed their visit. Konda was so taken in with her daughter that she kept asking about them later too.

Also I wanted to make something that's not on my blog already, and her hubby was teasing me saying that they were about to become testers. I was only happy to assure him that though this never got around featuring in the blog, it was prepared often. I quickly asked hubby dear to click some pictures, so other dishes are missing!

Before I go on with the recipe, check out the new post on Mini Breakfast Ideas in my Spice Your Life blog!

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 - 30 mins
Serves - 4-5

Ingredients Needed:

Paneer - 250 gms
Onions paste - 1 cup
Tomato Puree - 2 cups
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nut paste - 3 tbsp
Cream - 1 cup
Bay Leaf - 1 (opt)
Salt to taste
Butter - 3 tsp
Saffron - 5-6 strands
Milk - 50 ml.

Method to prepare:

You can use Home made Paneer or can use store bought. Cut into cubes and fry them in butter till golden colour. Remove and keep aside.

Warm milk and soak saffron in it.

Make Onion puree and Tomato puree separately. Keep aside.

In a pan, heat butter. You can use the same pan that you used for frying Paneer. Add the bay leaf, then fry Onion paste till its pink. add the ginger garlic paste. Fry both till the onion paste turns till brown.

Then add cashew paste along with all the spice powders. Simmer and allow it to cook well. Then add the tomato puree.

Add about 1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Then simmer and cook till it thickens. When the gravy is thick enough, add the cream and simmer for another 10 mins. Finally add the milk that has the saffron. Optionally, you can add orange food colour if you want richer colour.

When the gravy is ready, finally add the fried paneer and cook for 5 mins.

This tastes great with Ghee Rice, Jeera Rice or Naans.
Follow RecipesDream