Loading

Absolutely Crazy CrockPot Turkey


Day 281.

I got adventurous yesterday. I don't really know what came over me, but I was feeling brave and went out on a limb. The jury is still out on whether or not my concoction was a success. It may actually be a hung jury.

Spurred along by a turkey recipe I found online using anchovies, I went to Trader Joe's. I figured: turkey, anchovies, tomatoes... sure! Why not? This was a real recipe by a real chef guy that is served in a real restaurant.

Nothing could be wrong with that.

I didn't print out the recipe. I just went. And hunted. And gathered.

I kind of like what I made.

I may be the only one.

in the entire world.

that's okay with me.

The Ingredients.

--1 1/4 pounds turkey breast cutlets
--8.5 oz jar sundried tomatoes, drained and rinsed
--2 oz can anchovies, drained and rinsed (even though 2 cans are pictured, I only used 1)
--6 slices of bacon (I used turkey)

The Directions.

I used a 6.5 quart crockpot. Anything over 3 quarts would work just fine.

Spread the bacon on the bottom of your crockpot. Rinse off the anchovies, and lay them on top. Add the turkey cutlets; it's okay if they overlap.

Rinse off a bit of the oil from the sundried tomatoes, and add it on top of the turkey. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours (this was in a not-very-full 6.5 quart, so if you are using a smaller pot, it will take longer).

The Verdict.

I served this with polenta that I JUST YESTERDAY perfected in the rice cooker. Yay! (1 cup cornmeal, 3 cups chicken broth, 1 T butter---after cooking cycle, take the lid off, stir, and let sit for about 5 minutes. delicious.)

The combo of the smoky and slightly salty turkey with the acidity and tang of the sundried tomatoes was crazy-good. I didn't eat the bacon or the anchovies, I just used them for flavor.

I'm the only one who ate this. I ate 2 1/2 servings, and will gladly eat leftovers for lunch. Apparently if you announce you're making something with anchovies for dinner, people seem to want to prepare something all on their own.

All said? I'm pretty darn happy with this recipe. Iron CrockPot, anyone?
Follow RecipesDream