Loading

CrockPot Bacon Wrapped Cornish Game Hens


Day 302.

mmm. bacon. The Internet has a strange love for bacon. Every time I get together with a group of bloggers, the conversation turns to bacon. Since I'm allergic to pork, I don't really get it, but nod along 1) to be polite and 2) to not appear overly weird.

I've bought beef bacon a few times, and after I get over the swimming-in-oil-and-fat-and-cholesterol thing, I enjoy eating it. I wrapped these little cornish game hens in bacon, and they were amazing. The kids ate a whole bunch----which is glorious----especially since the meat kind of fell apart and the hens looked different than the chicken my kids are used to eating.

The Ingredients.

--2 cornish game hens, thawed
--6 slices of bacon * (if you are gluten-free, always check labels thrice, and do your own research.)
--1 tsp kosher salt
--1 tsp thyme
--1 tsp rosemary

The Directions.

I used a 6 quart crockpot; the little birds nestled in nicely.

I did skin the birds; there was no where near as much fat and skin as is on a regular chicken, but I took off as much as I could with poultry shears.

In a small bowl, mix your dry spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the birds, inside and out. Lower the birds into the crockpot. I thought I had put them both breast-side down, but I think only one actually was. Take your strips of bacon, and wrap two one way and one the other on each bird. See if you can tuck an end inside of the cavity.

Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. I cooked ours on low for 4 hours, and then switched it to high for the last hour.

Discard the bacon before serving.

I served rice and roasted veggies with the hens.

The Verdict.

oooh, boy. I like cornish game hens. The meat is very moist and rich----maybe a bit gamey to some, but quite full of flavor. The kids ate all the little drumsticks and a lot of the breast meat.

I look forward to making this again!

The rosemary and thyme were perfect, and the bacon provided a neat smoky flavor to all of the meat.

* because I can not find conclusive evidence that the bacon I used was GF, I'm going to not tag this gluten free. I'll call the company today.
Follow RecipesDream