Loading

CrockPot Pumpkin Black Bean Soup Recipe


Day 294.

This soup recipe has been floating around the Internet the past few weeks----Yahoo linked to it on their front page as a good Halloween night dinner to eat before trick-or-treating. I had planned on making this soup anyway but last week I got a few emails pointing it out again, so I pushed it up a few days.

This weekend,
Denise posted a pumpkin soup roundup on BlogHer and shared that Smitten Kitchen made a version of pumpkin black bean soup, which really inspired me to get cracking (those Smitten Kitchen people? They work with Martha. They know their stuff.)

So I did.

I made this soup.

I made 6.5 quarts of it.
Anyone want any? Because it's still sitting here.

We didn't like it.

At all. It sort of made us gag. We gave it a valiant effort, and I even let it sit overnight, because a lot of times soup tastes better the next day.


This didn't.

The Ingredients.

adapted from All Recipes

--3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
--1 can tomatoes and chilies (Rotel)
--1 tsp salt
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--4 cloves chopped garlic
--4 cups gluten free beef broth
--1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
--1 small yellow onion, chopped (didn't make it into the picture)

--1/4 cup sherry
--2 T butter
--crumbled bacon or cooked ham (optional, to add at end of cooking time)
--sour cream to garnish (optional)


The Directions.


I used a 6.5 quart crockpot. If you attempt this soup (you really shouldn't), use at least a 5 quart.

Chop up all the onion and garlic and add to the pot. Dump in the black beans.
I used my homemade black beans!
Add the whole can of cooked pumpkin and the beef broth.
Stir in the salt and pepper. It seems like a lot of salt, but you're not going to end up eating it, anyway.

Add a pat of butter.


Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4. Stir well. If desired, use an immersible blender to puree about half of the soup. I did do this. If you don't have an immersible blender, scoop out about 2 cups and blend carefully in your stand mixer.


If desired, add crumbled bacon or diced ham.

Garnish with sour cream (this was the best part).


The Verdict.


The kids made me open a window in the kitchen and light a candle while this was cooking.

Adam and I tried twice to eat it, and we were not pleased. It reminded us of hot V-8 juice, which we both despise.

After I made it, I read all of the reviews on All Recipes. The positive reviewers added things like salsa, cumin, chili powder, and coriander. I wish I had, too. A few of the reviewers mentioned liking a Jamaican pumpkin soup. I do have a recipe for that, which I think I'll give whirl this week.
Follow RecipesDream