Loading

Panasa Thonalu ~ Traditional Andhra Sweet for Deepavali Celebrations!

I had tasted these for the first time recently, when hubby dear was given these by his colleague. She is from a background, where the traditional cooking is still in the vogue! Infact when he happened to drop in for lunch, he was served a curry that reminded him of his grandmother. He was telling me that I should talk to her and get insight into their cooking. I am yet to find an opportunity to do that. So when she had made these sweets, I was impressed by the shape and taste. She was supposed to show me a demo on how they make these shapes, but we couldn't make it. When I showed the sweets to Amma, she said she knows another proportion for making Kaja, but she never attempted to shape them this way.

On the day when we were preparing the kajas, we happened to watch these panasa thonalu, over the tele. She said something very fast, only later I recalled the name of this sweet. I couldn't spend much time seeing the chef who was making these, but I had a rough idea. When I got down making these, they turned out so simple. Since I already made the dough and prepared kaja, I wanted to try the other proportion that Amma knows. This method does not require resting time, as ghee is used instead of Dalda. And you can proceed with the process right away!

Kids are back to school today. Konda somehow didn't complain on going to school, whereas the boys cried as they are going after 3 days. I was working both the days, whereas hubby dear was at home, so all the boys had a gala time, playing and napping together. As such both of them are very attached to their father. When he is carrying them both, they won't even come to me, so spending two full days with him, they have become even more. I call the boys his soul mates!

Now coming to these famous sweets called Panasa thonalu, they are called so because they look like Jackfruit bulbs. Eating each strip one by one is fun!


Panasa Thonalu

All purpose Flour / Maida - 1 cup
Ghee - 1/4 cup and 2 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Maida for dusting
Oil for Deep frying.

Method to prepare:

In bowl, take the maida and ghee. Rub in the ghee well, till you get the crumble. Then slowly add water and knead a pliable dough.

Meanwhile melt sugar and remove scum if any. Then cook till you get one thread consistency.

Divide the dough into small balls of size smaller than regular pooris. Dust the dough and roll out as you do your regular pooris. Roll them as thin as possible.

Using the knife, leaving an inch intact, make long insertions, vertically towards the end. Continue to do so till the end as shown in the picture.

Gently remove from the board, gathering the uncut disc. Shake the disc a bit and the strips will fall as long strips.

Gently drop them into hot oil and cook in sim on both the sides. The trick to get all of the as separate, is to make them as you fry them. When you prepare these shapes and allow them to rest, they will loose shape!


When its cooked on all sides, drop these into the sugar syrup. Let it soak for 5 mins, then remove.

Once they are cooled, store them in an air tight container.

I am sending a box of these to Aparna, who is celebrating her blog's first anniversary. I hope she likes these!
Follow RecipesDream