Loading

Roasted Tomato Soup ~ Quick and Comforting!

I may be drinking only a soup, but who says I am not enjoying? If you must know, I am having a feast every night. With the chill breeze steeping in through the windows, I sip my piping hot soup and can literally feel the heat strolling through my windpipe. Oops, its not wind pipe is it, I meant the throat! Well whatever, you get the draft right. Every sip reminds me of those many times in past, I had enjoyed this quintessential Tomato Soup. This typically is Amma's another one of those wonderful concoctions. Though I remember being the person, who read out to her a decade ago, she has since then changed and modified and added her signature touch!

Though at the risk of being repeated, I am not a soup person. But who can say no to something that's so delicious? Other than at home, I can vouch I have never sip a tomato soup elsewhere. Soup, if at all, has always been Sweet Corn Veg Soup. So I have enjoyed this version of Amma's Tomato Soup. I had it at various times in life. Early years of remembering this, would be that time when I was recuperating from a fall, then during pregnancy. And when she wanted Konda to have an intake of Veggies, so she camouflaged them as soups. Since she was anyway going the full yard, she used to make for me too. Oh how I remember enticing Konda to drink this, saying Ammama made only for her, 'cos she has to grown tall, strong and healthy! Magical words to get my daughter eat, is to say Ammama made for her. She will even eat a full meal that way!

Amma adds ghee roasted bread crumbs as garnish. In our recent trip by train, hubby dear said, that the only good stuff sold, was the tomato soup. So Konda was all excited to taste. It was, of course, served with bread crumbs. She eat up all the bread crumbs and gave the cold soup back to me! I was reminded of that incident when I added the dry toasted bread crumbs to my soup. This fits the bill the outside climate demands, you wonder what's special today, well a bowl of that hot Tomato soup to shoo off the cold!

Ingredients Needed:

Tomatoes - 2 medium
Carrot - 1 small
Onion - 1 medium
Clove - 1
Cinnamon - 1 "
Mint Leaves - 5
Salt to Taste
Pepper to Taste
All purpose flour - 1 tsp (opt)
Milk - 2 tbsp (opt)
Oil - 1 tsp
Butter/ Ghee - 1 tsp

Method to prepare:

Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Sauté chopped onions, cloves, cinnamon and mint leaves. Then add chopped tomatoes and carrot. Add the flour and stir well.

Stir for 2 mins, then add 1 cup of water and pressure cook it for 1 - 2 whistles. Once its done, remove the clove and cinnamon.

Grind the rest to a smooth paste. Cook it again for 5 mins. Add salt and pepper, water if required. Simmer and slowly add milk. Bring to boil.

Tomato Soup is ready to tuck you in for a sound sleep!
Follow RecipesDream