Loading

Andhra Pulihora ~ Tamarind Rice with Sesame seeds!

It started to drizzle again when I started back home. It was pouring a while ago and seeing a lull, I thought I should get going. Not that I would mind getting drenched. I simply loved doing that. Back home, I saw the boys were doing little better but again the cough got worse during the night. After a hurried call to the doctor, gave them medicine and got them sleeping, It was almost raining the whole night, with heavy thunder and lightning during the wee hours! They both were so bored staying at home yesterday, that they jumped on hearing school, so we got them ready and they happily went off in the Auto. And the fact that Athamma was going with them, they knew they will get the Gems as treat (get the gems link)

When I started to office, it was still drizzling and it was a wonderful feeling riding through it. The bridge that I have to pass, was empty and zooming down was a excelerating feeling, with the cold, chill, rain kissed breeze hitting my face, I felt I was literally flying! Though there are so many wonderful memories associated with rains, one hilarious incident came to mind and I was giggling thinking of that day! It happened many winters ago and in that night, it was pretty late when I was getting back home from work. I had to stay back for some release and it was beyond 10 pm. The roads were empty and it had rained heavily. I was, as usual, riding slow to enjoy the chill wind. But when I crossed the bridge, I saw a big pool of stagnant water. I normally never wade through the dirty water. But that night, something trickled me and within seconds, I was zooming away. In that hurry, knowing the roads were empty I didn't bother about the water splashing other sides. But just as luck would have, another two-wheeler passed me right then and was fully drenched with dirty water, when I was zooming! Though I know it was bad, I couldn't help laughing and zooming even faster, as he started chasing me! It was hardly that I did on intension but whatever, I was not ready to argue. Within few mins, he lost me and I was still laughing away when I reached home. Naturally I haven't confessed to anybody.

Coming to today's post, its going to be my most all time favorite in Rice varieties, the famous Pulihora. I can have it anytime of the day. And its mostly my Saturday lunch. This version of pulihora is made with Sesame seeds and tastes simply too great! I normally don't' make this way, but its quite famous in Andhra.

Ingredients needed:

Cooked rice - 3 cups (300 gms)
Tamarind - size of a lemon.
Red chillies - 10
Green chillies - 3
Bengal Gram - 1 tbsp
Urud Dal - 1 tsp
Ground Nut - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt as per taste
Oil - 150 ml

For powder

Sesame Seeds - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
Red Chillies or Green Chillies - 2 nos

Method to prepare:

Soak tamarind in water for 30 mins. Extract thick pulp from it.

Cook rice and spread it over a big bowl. Add oil to make sure the grains are separate.

Dry roast the Sesame seeds and Chilies and grind it to a powder once it is cool.

Take a kadai, heat oil and add Bengal gram, Urud dal, Ground nuts, mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add curry leaves, asafoetida.

Add the tamarind pulp to the above, salt, add required amount of water to boil. Once its boiled well add the powder and cook well for 10 mins on sim.

Once the mix starts coming out from the sides, remove and mix to the rice well. This tastes great when it rests for some hours.

Normally I make it in the morning for the lunch.

This is for my Rice Mela Event, hope you are having your entries ready!

Check out the marathon runner's exciting dishes!

DK , Siri , Anu, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha , Divya M, Lak, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna, and Roochi
Follow RecipesDream