Loading

Biyam Pindi Pakode ~ Rice Flour Pakodas!

How would you feel meeting a friend after many years? I know I would be excited. The same excitement was bubbling in me, since the time Amma told me that her school friend is coming to meet her. Parents are moving to another place, this time another country! When Amma called up her friend to convey this news, her friend's husband booked the tickets without even telling her. So it was such a wonderful news for Amma and me of course, since I know how much this friend means to Amma. They studied together in school. And as things always happened they lost track of each other and only got to speak to each other a year ago. But Amma always used to tell me about the glorious time spent together and their friendship actually meant what friendship would mean. I always used to tell Amma that we should try to trace them again. And she used to get that mystical look in her eyes!

When Amma told me that her friend is coming down to meet her, I know how happy she was, that she was finally meeting her friend. When Dad and Mom went to pick them up from the station, we were waiting for Konda's van. Peddu seeing his ammamma and Thatha leaving, started crying to go with them. We got him home, after lot of cajoling, but he continued saying he wants to go till he went to school. It was wonderful meeting Amma's friend and her husband. Uncle was very humorous and witty and Aunty was so very sweet, just as Amma always used to tell. I stayed back for a while, talking to them. Uncle was telling how he wanted to see the reunion of the friends, but Aunty was restless and got down the train before he could get the luggage. And she recognize Amma before Amma could. Back home, she happily recollected the days during their childhood and I was getting all mushy hearing it. She showed us the picture of her children and grandchild. They spent the day at home with Amma, and the couple of times I called up, Amma sounded very thrilled. I know this is going to mean the epitome of friendship to me. Amma went to drop them in their relatives place and came when it was raining.


I offered these delicious Pakodas when Amma dropped in home. Its been raining heavily since evening and when I came back home, Athamma had Pakodas ready with Rice Flour. Peddu loved it so much that I had to prepare them again. Then Konda came and wanted some, so I ended making three batches of these lovely Onion and Potato Pakodas in Rice Flour. Though I have always added Rice flour in pakodas, this is the first time, making it with just that!

Ingredients Needed:

Rice Flour - 1 cup (I used a small one)
Fried Gram Flour - 2 tsp (this is not besan)
Onions - 1 medium
Potatoes -1 medium
Green Chilies - 1 - 2
Cooking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Chili powder - 1/4 tsp ( if its for you, add more)
Oil for deep frying


Method to prepare:

Have the oil in a Kadai in sim.

For Onions,


Meanwhile, take Rice flour in a bowl, add salt, soda, chili powder, finely chopped chilies and add very little water to get a thick batter, it should be stiff. Shape them and drop them into hot oil.

Once cooked on both sides, drain.

For Potatoes

Peel and slice the potatoes to very thin slices. Make a batter with rice flour, salt, fried gram flour, soda to a batter thats little thin but enough to coat the potatoes.

Once the oil is hot enough, gently slide these and fry on both sides. Once cooked, drain them to a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.

It was simply delicious, you can spice it up with more chili powder or ginger garlic paste or even cumin powder. It would taste awesome!

This is also on the way to my Rice Mela Event.

Check out the marathon runner's exciting dishes!

DK , Siri , Anu, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha , Divya M, Lak, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna, and Roochi
Follow RecipesDream