Loading

Chayote Halwa ~ Chow Chow Halwa!

The credit for finally making this halwa, goes to Athamma. She came across this halwa sometime back and was keen on making it. I was two minds on that. Athamma was very upset that I wasn't paying much attention to my dear blog. In her opinion, I haven't cooked anything new to be updated offlate. So when she came across this recipe, she was insisting I go get her this vegetable. We have always only made a Sambar with Chow Chow. At rare times, I have made a kootu but never a sweet, that too halwa. But since she was very keen, I decided to get her a small one for experimenting. I was happy that it turned out well and quite delicious.

Hubby dear is very skeptical about this Halwa series, knowing very well he is going to be the person going to taste all the new halwas emerging out of the kitchen! I promised him that excepting for another vegetable halwa, rest are going to be with known things! I guess he has no choice. Chow Chow is also called as Benguluru Vankaya or Sime Badnekai. So making a halwa with this was quite interesting! Do try it, I am sure you will get to like it!


The sugar got crystallized little more than expected. So next time will have to reduce the amount of having the sugar on heat.

Ingredients Needed:

Chow Chow grated - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup or less
Milk - 4 tbsp
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Ghee - 2 tsp

Roasted Almond for garnish

Method to prepare:

Grate the Chayote and pressure cook till tender. Keep it aside.

Roast the badam and keep aside.

Melt sugar in a pan till its all done, then add in the cooked chow chow, milk, cardamom powder and simmer for 5 mins.

Then add ghee and cook on high till the beetroot starts leaving the sides.

Finally garnish with roasted almond.

Check out what my other marathoners made today:

DK of Culinary Bazaar, Siri of Siri's Corner, Anu of My Food Blog, Ranji of Ranji's Kitchen Corner, PJ of Seduce Your Tastebuds, Curry Leaf of Experiments, Emotions, Experiences with Food, Medha of Cook with Love, Priya of Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes, Bhawna of Tastes of India, Raaji of Raaji's Kitchen, Ruchii, Kamala of Nandhu's Corner, Roopa of My Kitchen Treats, Divya Kudua of Easy Cooking, Rekha of Plantain leaf, Divya M of Divyaz Easy Recipes, Lak of The Yum Blog, Raaga of The Singing Chef and Lakshmi Venkatesh of Kitchen Chronicles.
Follow RecipesDream