Loading

CrockPot Bean Stew Recipe


Day 311.

This could be vegetarian if I had vegetable broth in the house. I did not, so I used chicken broth.

My back is not feeling the best, due to a bend-and-hug that turned into a hug-and-hang. I'm typing this standing up. Every movement is taking more effort than I want, and I'm a wee bit cranky.

I didn't make it the store, and needed to make due with stuff we had in the house. I was certain that I had a bag of green lentils in the pantry, and was totally bummed to realize that the bag actually was filled with split peas. I used them anyway.

The Ingredients.

--2 cups split peas (or lentils!)
--6 cups broth
--1 can kidney beans, rinsed
--1 can black beans, rinsed
--1 potato, chopped
--1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
--4 sad looking green onions, chopped
--3 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
--1 cub baby carrots
--handful of broccoli (or other veggies you have lying around)
--1 tsp dill (to be different!)
--1 tsp kosher salt
--1/2 tsp black pepper
--1 1/2 tsp paprika


The Directions.

I used a 6 quart crockpot.

Chop up the vegetables to desired size, and throw them in the pot. Rinse the beans, and add. Add the split peas. Cover with broth, and stir in the spices.

Cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-5. Soup tastes better the longer it cooks.

The Verdict.

I had read somewhere that dill enhanced soups and stews and it was an under-utilized spice. I threw some in, and immediately regretted it, but decided to climb back in bed with the heating pad hope for the best.

I think the dill works. It tastes too strong if the broth isn't salty enough---so salt and pepper to taste.

Then you can eat it without feeling like you're eating the guinea pigs alfalfa hay.

My kids fished out the stuff they liked, but mostly ate Toquitos for dinner.

I had Advil.

I'm going to have a big bowl for lunch.
Follow RecipesDream