Loading

CrockPot Corn Risotto Recipe


Day 310.

I got this recipe from Terri (who gave use the awesome 3-packet roast) and she got it from the Dallas Morning News.

I made risotto earlier in the year, and was quite impressed with the results. Usually making risotto is quite a pain (I've been told. I haven't actually made any on the stove top because after reading the directions, I need a nap.), but it's quite easy in the crockpot. You plug it in and turn it on.

The Ingredients.

--1 1/4 cup arborio rice
--1 T olive oil
--1 T butter
--1 tsp onion flakes
--4 chopped cloves of garlic
--4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
--package of frozen corn (16 oz)
--1 tsp salt
--1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on taste

to add later:
--1/4 cup heavy cream (I used fat free half and half)
--1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

The Directions.

I used a 4 quart crockpot.

Put the tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of the crockpot, and swirl the rice and the onion flakes in it.

Chop the garlic and add, along with the salt and cayenne pepper. Add the frozen corn and the broth. Stir well. Drop in a pat of butter.

Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours, checking every 45 minutes or so. This is done when the liquid has absorbed and the rice is tender.

Unplug, and add the cream and parmesan cheese. Cover for 5 minutes, or until cheese melts completely.

Serve.

The Verdict.

Creamy and delicious. I didn't serve this right away and my rice sort of disintegrated, but it still tasted wonderful. The kids said it was like corn oatmeal, and they're right---it kind of is. The first risotto I made came out with a better texture, but this was fun to try and had a neat creamed corn flavor.

Thank you, Terri!
Follow RecipesDream