Loading

Doodhi Halwa ~ White Pumpkin Halwa!

I guess I have thank my stars today. My computer has given up on me and I rebooted it so many times, I wasn't sure it would wake up! Luckily I have got it working in the end. So this hurried post to run my marathon! I had planned for the JFI round up for today, but since that will take time to upload, thought I will do the next Halwa in line. This Halwa is hot as its coming straight from the stove! I had asked Athamma to have it grated, so all I did was to put it on the pressure cooker and then simmer for 10 mins. The halwa is ready!

Though the recipe asks for it to be cooked in sim, I knew I didn't have the patience for a slow cooking. I always have everything done in the pressure cooker! Other than putting this on for 3 whistles, I had it on for 5 -6 mins on high for the sugar to get melted and mixed well. Overall it took about 10 - 15 mins for the Halwa to be done. Except for the ceremonial checking for sweet, I didn't touch it. Of course, the tester is fast asleep, so will have to reheat it again for him and give his verdict. But trust me, that sampling proved that this is yet another tasty Halwa in making. Lauki as its called, I have always know for its halwa, though this is the first time I am making it.

Anu asked if its going to be Halwa week, and Lak said its going to be Halwa Mela, except I am going to cook. Yes I have planned for few more interesting halwas in making! Only hope I have my computer checked again tomorrow!

Ingredients Needed:

White pumpkin / Doodhi grated - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 & 1/2 cup
Kowa - 1 cup
Cardamom a pinch
Rose water few drops (opt) I didn't use

For Garnish

Roasted nuts
Ghee - 1 tsp

Method to prepare:

Peel the outer skin and grate the pumpkin. Do not squeeze or throw away the water.

Easy way to get around this halwa, would be to pressure cooking it till soft.

Then add the sugar and cook on high, while you keep stirring it. Add cardamom. Cook till the sugar and pumpkin solidifies.

Then crumble the plain kova and simmer for 5 mins, while you mix it well.

In another pan, heat ghee and roast the nuts. Then sprinkle this over the halwa.

This had the consistency to become more solid, but I removed while it was still soft and not so thick.

Finally garnish with roasted almond.

Check out what my other marathoners made today:

DK , Siri , Anu, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha , Divya M, Lak, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya and Viji
Follow RecipesDream