Loading

Kaai Kani Halwa ~ the grand finale in the Halwa series!

Though I have two more Halwa recipes to make, I think this is going to be the final in this series! Gosh its been one Halwa week and I know I am not going to make another Halwa in near future. Not that any of these lovely recipes came out bad, on the other hand, how can anything go wrong, when it has sugar, ghee along with some interesting vegetable/fruit! Infact when Athamma made the Potato Halwa, hubby dear liked it so much that I have made it again. Same with others too.

Today's Halwa is very interesting combination. When I told Amma that I am planning to prepare some halwas the whole of this week, she gave me few recipes. The one that topped was this Kaai Kani Halwa. This is a wonderful melody of vegetables with fruits topped with dry fruits. When Amma was telling me, I could imagine, the fragrance and the flavor coming out of this. And I especially looked forward to making this. I got the plain kova much in thoughts of this halwa, so I was sure I was going to prepare. Since it was sweet, the entire week saw me cooking at 10 pm in the night after the kids went to bed. When I was typing in the recipe for Maida Halwa, Konda was standing next to me and reading each ingredient. She wasn't around when I was making it. So after she had her dinner, I asked her to eat the Halwa. She asked Maida Halwa na? I was really surprised how she knew. She smartly replied that since she saw me typing the ingredients, she knew it must be a halwa with Maida!

Coming to this Kaai Kani Halwa, which means a Halwa with vegetables and fruits in Tamil, I made this for today's neivedyam. So there was no way I could check the sweet! But when the pooja was done and hubby dear eat this, I knew he liked it very much, with the second helping he had!

In the end, as it happens with all recipes, I ended up modifying few things.


Ingredients Needed:

Carrot, grated - 1/2 cup
Beetroot, grated - 1/2 cup
Fresh Coconut - 1/2 cup
Cashew, Almond & Raisins - 1/2 cup
Apple, fine pieces - 1/2 cup
Banana, fine pieces - 1/2 cup
Sugar- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp
Kova - 1/2 cup
Milk - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 3 tsp

Method to prepare:

Grate all the vegetables, coconut and keep aside. Heat a pan with 1 tsp ghee, roast the nuts and keep aside.

Then roast the grated carrot, beetroot and coconut, till it gets roasted well. Allow it to cool. Then grind to a smooth paste. The original recipe didn't call for milk, but I added some for more creaminess.

Heat the same pan with the remaining ghee, pour the ground puree. Mix in the sugar, grated or crumbled kova. Combine everything together well. Cook on sim, till it gets together. If you see the kova still in chunks, press it down to mix well.

Meanwhile, chop the apple and banana into 1 inch pieces.When you find the sugar all melted and kova all mixed well, add the chopped fruits, roasted nuts (save few for garnishing on top) to the pan. Mix well and keep stirring, so that it doesn't get burnt.

When the mixture starts leaving the sides, this is when you will find the ghee coming out, remove from fire.

Transfer to a bowl, garnish the saved nuts on the top and click away like mad!

Not being satisfied with my clicking, I asked hubby too. Chinnu and Peddu were looking very expectedly while we were doing our acrobats!

Sending this to Sunshinemom for her Event on Colours in Food, this month being Purple!


Check out my busy co runners, do help with drinks and cheering on their way.:

DK , Siri , Anu, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha , Divya M, Lak, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika and Pavani
Follow RecipesDream