Loading

Raw Gauva Curry ~ Savory way to enjoy Gauva!

Out of the moon, I was in fits of a plot after many years. This used to happen years back, when I was still in college and used to devour book after book of fiction, mind you! It starts with M&Bs, to Thrillers, Comedies, anything that's covered and in printed form, was an object of interest for me. The worse attack would be when I reading those thrillers, I almost would imagine myself to be the detective trying to solve the mystery. And it used to start when I am on the way to college. Peddling away, I would think I am chasing a guunda and peddle as fast as I can. Whether I actually catch the criminal or not, I used to reach the college in flat 5 - 10 mins, though the college was good 6 kms away! Needless to say, this fixation used to follow me during the class too. Add to that, my friends would be deeply buried with a book of M&B, hidden in the class books. I was always forced to follow the class for their sake. Most of my lecturers had this habit of calling a student at random to read the pages. So one of us had to be alert.

Imagine, reading about a story of a damsel in distress being saved by the knight of arms, all hall, dark and handsome! Oh if you went ahead to know the reason for the damsel to be in distress, it would be for a silly reason that her sandals didn't fit her feet! And our TDH hero comes chasing a horse, to bend down to fit her feet! Of all the silly reasons not to a read a fiction, we were even more goaded to get addicted to such reads! We consumed them by tons. I still have a big load of those books in the loft! I was more keen on thrillers and PG Woodhouse types. Getting back home, I used to lock up and read them, as if my degree was dependent on those books. Much of midnight oil was spent on reading these books. I ensured nobody suspected that I was up the whole night reading the book which actually ran to hundreds of pages. In that dim lighted room, aided by the night lamp, then with the light coming from the restroom, I was the detective trying to solve the mystery!

So the plot that unfolded in my mind yesterday, wouldn't let me go until I had the end of it. I saw my characters having a life on their own and I was relieved only when I saw the end!

Ingredients Needed:

For the Gravy:

Gauva - 1 raw
Mint - 4 leaves
Onions - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Dry Masala

Peanut - 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Almond - 2 whole
Cashew - 2 whole
Clove - 2
cinnamon - 2"

Roast all the ingredients and grind to a fine powder.

Seasoning:

Mustard Seeds
Cumin Seeds


Method to prepare:

Remove seeds from gauva and dip in hot water. Keep aside

Then heat a pan with oil and temper with mustard, cumin. Then saute with onions, mint leaves, then add tomato, chili pwd, coriander powder, turmeric, salt. simmer for 10 mins.

Then add the gauva without water. Simmer for another 5 mins. Add 1 cup water. Bring to boil and simmer till it thickens.

Finally add the dry powder to the curry. Cook for 5 mins and remove.

Check out what's cooking in my fellow marathon runners!

DK , Siri , Anu, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha , Divya M, Lak, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna, and Roochi
Follow RecipesDream