Loading

CrockPot Baked Beans with Apples and Jalapeño



Day 363.





mmmm. beans.

I really like baked beans, and am excited to have a few cups of these left in the refrigerator. I'm going to have some more with my pancakes this morning.



Again. I'm eating pancakes again.



We've had pancakes every. single. day. since school let out, and it doesn't look like that will be stopping. I'm glad I bought the big bags of Pamela's.



this has nothing to do with beans.



or the crockpot.



sorry.



The Ingredients.

--1 lb bacon, divided (I used turkey)

--2 cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed

--1/2 yellow onion, diced

--2 granny smith apples, cored and diced (no need to peel)

--1 or 2 canned jalapeños, diced

--3 cloves garlic, minced

--1 tsp dry mustard

--1/2 tsp kosher salt

--1/4 cup ketchup

--1/3 cup apple juice

--2 T molasses

--1 T brown sugar (I did not add this, see verdict below)







The Directions.



Use a 3-4 quart crockpot. Put 2 pieces of bacon into the bottom of your crockpot. Layer in the

beans, jalapeño, onion, and apples. Sprinkle dry spices on the beans. Add the ketchup, molasses, and apple juice. Stir gingerly to combine.

Add 2 more pieces of bacon to the top of the beans. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8. This is finished when the onions and apples are translucent and the flavors have fully melded.



Cook the remaining slices of bacon on the stove top and crumble over the top.



The Verdict.



I really liked these beans, but I missed the sweetness of traditional baked beans. Next time I will add a tablespoon of brown sugar with the dry spices. I needed to add some more chopped jalapeño to my bowl, but everyone else ate it plain. It wasn't spicy (to me) and the kids were okay with it. They didn't eat very much, and filled up on cornbread.







Follow RecipesDream