Loading

Andhra Mutton Kura, Masala Annam ~ Weekend Cooking!

There is always something magical about leaves falling down! It symbolizes new growth and a sense of well being. It transports me to my early youth, walking down with full energy and a high expectations of what else life might offer me. I was on the threshold of a new chapter. I was rethinking on what to do in life. Well thinking back, I can see that its not been an updraft, rather I have sailed along the waves. I have trodden the path that was not less frequented The road not taken will always be a mystery for me. Looks like my poetic senses will have to wait for another lifetime to get fulfilled.

Expecting new things and doing things differently, doesn't mean I wasn't up to my regular things. I still got to get up early for the morning walks and yes, as I might have said, Dad has a penchant for getting up early, it always rubbed off me too. Early never meant the wee hours, but please 6 or 6.30 am was pretty early in my books then. If there was one thing we could do, and get Daddy happy, it was getting up early and going either for a jog or a walk. Dad liked us getting up early and lazy slumbering beneath layers and layers of blanket never came to picture! Well I have finally come to conclude that this again changes with the life juncture one is at! Right now, I would prefer my kids not being so bent on pleasing their Thatha, guess I could do with some peace to complete my morning chores on time! They not only get up early, but are very active right from word go!

Anyway there I was, standing for the signal to go green, while the branches were shedding its leaves. I was transported to a different time and place. I could see myself walking brisk, every step becoming more aggressive, in tune with Sukhwinder Singh shouting at his top of the voice, Chaiyya Chaiyya...

Well today's post has got nothing to do with either autumn or my walks, rather my eagerness to cook something new and special on Sundays for hubby dear. I guess I am one of those lucky few who have got willing guinea pigs. Though I must hasten to say he wasn't always this willing, but guess growing old together has lot to be said about! But my litmus test was in making him remember his childhood days or as cooked from his side of the family. Though I have a long way to go, to reach up my Athamma's expertise, I was happy I climbed few notches with this fare!

Andhra Mutton Kura!

Ingredients Needed:

Mutton - 500 gms
Onions - 2 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Mint leaves - handful
Coriander leaves - few stacks
Poppy seed powder (Gasa gasa) - 1 & 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 & 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves
Green chilies - 1 long
Oil - 2 tsp

Masala to be ground

Fresh coconut, chopped- abt handful (50 - 60 gms)
Green chilies - 1 long
Coriander leaves - handful
Fennel seeds - 3/4 tsp
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 2"
Cardamom - 1
Ginger - 4"
Garlic - 10 flakes
( I took about 2 tsp from this ground masala for the rice)

Method to prepare:

Wash mutton and let it drain. Get the ground masala ready. Keep it aside.

Then heat a pressure cooker pan with oil. Add curry leaves, green chilies and onions. Sauté the onions till they start turning brown.

Add the drained mutton, sprinkle the turmeric and salt. Cook on high flame, while you keep stirring it. Then simmer it for 2 -3 mins.

Then add the ground masala (keep about 2 tsp for the rice) to the mutton, again cook on high. This time you will find water coming out and you should cook till it evaporates. Add the mint and coriander leaves. Then chopped tomatoes.

Simmer again for 3 - 4 mins, by this time you will have a good masala coating the meat. Add in the chilli, coriander, garam masala, fennel and poppy seeds powders. Combine everything well and cook till you find it letting out a little oil.

Then add required water and pressure cook till the meat is tender. Once the pressure is off, remove lid and cook again if the gravy is not thick.

Note: This is a typical Andhra dish and is bound to be spicy, so please be cautious in using the chilies, its added in three different ways. But believe me, the aroma was your typical 'sweep your feet' kinds.


Masala Annam!

This is very typically like the Colour rice that I have already blogged about. Plain rice is very so appealing, so having the rice taking a different drab looks more attractive right! And more specific, certain non veg dishes require regular rice accompanying and not the aromatic Basmati, so I cooked with our regular rice that I use, it could be Ponni or Sona Masuri. Another interesting fact being we don't add ghee to this, unless you want.

Ingredients Needed:

Sona Masuri/ Ponni - 1 & 1/2 cup
Onion julienne - 1 medium
Bay leaf , Mace or Javatri , Star anise, Clove, Cinnamon, Cardamom - 1 each
Salt to taste
Ground masala - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 - 3 tsp
Water - 2 & 1/2 cup

Method to prepare:

You can either cook this in pressure cooker or directly. So water measurement depends on which method you want to follow. Thumb rule being, you need to let the rice absorb water or allow it standing time.

Wash and soak rice for 15 mins.

Heat a pressure cooker pan with oil, add in all the spices. Then sauté the onions till they are pink, then add the ground masala. Cook well. Then add the drained rice.

Then add the water along with salt. Cover and pressure cook till rice is done.

The entire cooking time for both these dishes was within an hour, provided you have things within reach. And more than me, hubby dear was eager I capture these. So it proves it was very well received!

And the unexpected excitement and approval got from hubby dear goes to prove that I better remember my Amma's cooking and get to do them again. This kura was what my mom used to prepare long time ago, it just flashed through the memory and I was glad it did!
Follow RecipesDream