Loading

Aloo Tamatar Sabzi with Kasturi Methi!

I guess most of our Indian meals can be cooked under 30 mins, provided you don't have 3 kids barging into the kitchen every other minute! Hubby dear has taken off permission to baby sit the kids and its fun to see him plan on what to feed the boys when they come back home. Normally with great amusement, I watch Athamma plan for the boys snacks and she also prepares something for them. Since hubby dear can't cook, he is managing with fruits and other treats.

I normally make the sabzi and chapatis after I get back home. When I asked him what to make, he suggested Aloo Tamatar, remembering his days in Delhi. I guess he can never get tired of accounting the delectable treats that Delhiwalas treated him with. And he says the aloo tamatar he eat there, still remains fresh. One incident that I can never forget was him telling me about his first experience in a restaurant in Delhi. The waiter regaled the menu and everything went with aloo either prefixed or suffixed! But then I didn't hear him complain either.


So he told me that I could make aloo tamatar along with Ghee rice for a change. He was apprehensive to know if it would take more time. I said he just reminded me of a new label that I can put for my post, the Under 30 minutes Meal! Actually speaking most of our dishes can be done under 30 mins, if you can plan certain things ahead. But I want to record these dishes for more clarity and benefit. If you must know, both these dishes got complete by 20 minutes but lets make 30 mins anyway.

While it was simmering, hubby dear came in to say that it smells heavenly. Guess that's the Cumin seeds and kasuri methi at work! A quick click was taken and off I went to feed the kids, the wow feedback from them, let me knew this is something I can make again!



This is the snap I took of the kids in action when we went for a trip last weekend. Since it was only us, we had the back seat down and they had a jolly good ride, lying down!

Ghee rice was same as what I have already blogged.

Aloo Tamatar with Kasturi Methi

Preparation & Cooking Time : 15 mins
Cuisine : North Indian
Serves : 2 - 3

Ingredients needed:

Aloo - 2 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Onions - 1 medium
Kasturi Methi - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1 "
Garlic - 1 small pod
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 /2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder 3/4 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as required



Method to prepare:

Since the objective of this is to complete both under 30 minutes, let me put things as I did.

Washed rice and had it soaking. 10 - 15 mins is enough

Then had the pan on the stove. Since my Ginger Garlic paste was not handy, grated the garlic and ginger, crushed again to ensure there are no big chunks.

Add oil to the pan, drop in the cumin seeds, then add the crushed ginger and garlic. Simmer, while you chop the onions.

Add the onions to the pan, fry well. Have it on high flame, keep stirring, while you chop those tomatoes into fine pieces. Best way to get them soft fast is to add the salt, so add salt and turmeric. Simmer with the lid slightly covering it.

Then add all the spice powders and stir everything together and slightly cover with the lid. Let the moisture get into it back to get the tomatoes soft.

Meanwhile peel the skin off the potatoes, cut into big cubes. Add the potatoes along with katuri methi to the pan and combine everything together. Simmer for few mins so that the outer side of aloo gets crispy.

Get the pan for the Rice ready and follow as the instructions goes there!

Check on the aloo and once its par boiled, add water, cover and put on the whistle. I normally put it on for 3 - 4 whistles. But basically you just cook till the potatoes are tender.

This is done in 10 mins time, get the cooker off the stove, this way the pressure inside gets out fast. Bring to boil if the gravy is thin. Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and serve with Ghee Rice!


Aloo Tamatar tastes great with any chapati or even dosa.

This makes a great lunch for Kids, so taking this for this month's Mingle hosted on my blog. Hope you have your Kid's dishes on making.




Follow RecipesDream