Loading

DATE BARS

Recently, I have been re-discovering some of the older recipes I have saved. Those from the “good old days”, when life (and recipe ingredients) were simpler. Recipes like those I picture Mrs. Cleaver from “Leave it to Beaver” making or maybe Aunt Bea from Mayberry (LOL). Boy, am I dating myself or what?

This date bar falls into that category. They are delicious with a large glass of cold milk and a good book. I hope you try them.

DATE FILLING
1 pound of dates diced small (about 3 cups)
1½ cups water
¼ cup sugar
Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until they are nice and thick, then cool.

CRUST
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup butter flavored Crisco
1¾ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups quick cooking oats
Heat oven to 400° (see note below). Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening until smooth. Mix in remaining ingredients. Press half of the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Spread the cooled date filling on the bottom crust. Top with the remaining crumbly mixture, press down slightly. Bake until light brown (25-30 minutes). Cut into bars while they are still slightly warm.
NOTE: The original recipe says to bake at 400° which worked well with my bright aluminum pan, however, when I tried my new heavy duty pan (which is dark) I had to reduce the temperature to 375°.
NOTE: After you get all of the crumb ingredients mixed together, run your hands through the crumbs to make sure the oatmeal is evenly distributed and there are no “lumps” of butter.
Follow RecipesDream