Loading

Bitter Gourd Kurma!

The weekend was quite hectic, well I might start making it look like a chore! Well its not actually, its something I enjoy a lot and look forward too. So don't let my tone get you into that assumption. Athamma is much better, her finger is healing fast. My second sil was here for couple of days and had to leave. So we are back to us at home, of course Amma is there to help me. My kids are enjoying their trips up and down to school with their Ammamma now. Konda had her last exam and is very jubilant. She already declared that she is going to stay out at her grandparents' home from today.

I had great fun cooking at office for 60+ colleagues. I choose Channa pulao, not only because it was already a hit at our bloggers meet, it was something that can stand alone on its own. This was the first time I was cooking for such large numbers, so had reconfirmed the measurements with Amma again. It took about 3 hours for the entire cooking to get done, and result was great, if I have to say it myself! Many asked when we can open a restaurant. I replied I am ready when they are. But on the whole it was a wonderful experience seeing so many satisfied looks.

Now coming to today's dish, this was prepared by Amma, who remembered her mom cooking it this style, so I thought it has to be recorded for sure!

Before that do take a look at the Coconut Dates Boorelu!


Ingredients Needed:

Bitter gourd - 2 medium
Tamarind - a marble size
a pinch of salt

For the gravy

Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Onions - 1 big
Tomato puree - 1 cup ( you can use chopped ones too)
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

For the paste
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon -1 "

Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method to prepare:

Cut the bitter gourd into long pieces, soak in salt and then boil in tamarind pulp. Throw the water away and then fry the pieces in oil for 2 mins. Keep it aside

Then heat a pan and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, then ginger garlic paste. Fry well. Then add the chopped onions, followed by tomato pieces. Add salt, let the tomato get little mushy.

Then add the ground masala, fry well till the oil comes out. Finally add the fried bitter gourd pieces, required water and simmer till you get a thick gravy.

You can add the chopped coriander before removing it off the flame.

Follow RecipesDream