Loading

Greek Lamb Sammies w/ Tzatziki Sauce

Lamb wasn't something that I grew up with so normally I'd just pass it on by when I'm grocery shopping. Well that was before I took a trip to Israel and had a chance to taste the local cuisine. OMG it was delish! I'm talking zesty and fresh! Lamb is served a lot over there, even the McDonald's had a lamb pita combo. So now when I see lamb on sale I snag it up because it is so savory!!! One sandwich I love making with lamb are these Lamb Sammies with Tzatziki (I love saying that)sauce. They a full of flavor and taste so fresh! Now there's a few steps of prep work and marinating but don't let that throw you off. I'm gonna take ya step-by-step. Trust me it is so worth it! I like to serve these little bad boys whenever I'm having a get-together and just let everyone make their own lamb sammies. These also make for an impressive picnic. Your man (or woman) will think you are the stuff when you whip out that picnic blanket and BAM!! Out comes the homemade lamb sammies!! They are always a hit, presents well and are very filling to be so small.




Lamb Sammies w/ Tzatziki Sauce







Let's Season up that lamb!!!

(I'm using a steak size leg of lamb that is under a pound. It will make about 4 sammies. )


Step 1.) Make small slits into your lamb with a knife. Just stick the knife in and wiggle it around a little.




Now dice up one garlic clove and insert the pieces of garlic into the those little slits. Play hide the garlic.


Great! Time for the spices! Now don't be afraid to add more spices. We want this lamb to be super seasoned!


Ok add 3/4 t. salt


1 T. of dried rosemary


3/4 t. garlic powder



3/4 t. black pepper


About 5-6 shakes of oregano(don't be shy)



2-3 T. Olive Oil



Now massage the lamb to get all the spices distributed well. I don't know why...but I like doing this part. I'm weird like that I guess.



Now wrap that lamb up in about 2-3 layers of Saran wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for 2-12 hours. I always let it sit overnight because the flavors are soooo delish when they've had a chance to really get into the meat.




Now Let's Prepare The Fixings!!


Step 2.) Slice half a cucumber, 2 medium tomatoes, and about 2 slices of onion.



Lay them out on a plate and drizzle them with the juice of half a lemon.



Now add a few dashes of black pepper and garlic salt. Cover and let sit in refrigerator for 2-12 hours.





Now Let's Make That Creamy Tzatziki Sauce!
(this makes a lot of sauce as you can see, so half the recipe if you want)


Step 3.) In a bowl add:


1 cup of plain yogurt



Peel, seed, and dice up a half a cucumber into tiny bits




Add cucumbers into bowl


Add 1 T. olive oil


1 t. lemon juice


1/2 t. salt


1 t. oregano


1t. minced garlic


Mix together, cover and let sit for 2-12 hours.





Time to Cook the lamb!!!!


Step 4.) Remove the marinated lamb from the wrapping and place on a roasting pan. I create my own small roasting pan by placing the rack from my toaster oven on a pan. Works great!


Put the lamb in the oven and BROIL for about 14 minutes (depending on thickness and preference) I like mine well done. If I cut it open and it's still to rare for my taste, I just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and it's perfect.



When the lamb is done let it rest for about 30 minutes before cutting into it. You can spinkle on a little salt now as well.



Cut the lamb into chunks or slices.




Now sit out your fixings and sauce, assemble your sandwiches and get to eating! All the hard was sure worth it!!!



Oh Oh Oh one more thing! I like to use Arnold's Sandwich Thins with this recipe. They are so soft, chewy, and adorable : ) You can get them from Walmart.


*Note* Please don't be seasoning shy with this recipe. The lamb needs to be super seasoned because when it's paired with that cool cucumber sauce it's a beautiful thang!!
Enjoy!!!!!!
Follow RecipesDream