Loading

Kefir or Buttermilk Pudding with Jam

Kephir and raspberry jelly / Keefiritarretis vaarikamoosiga

Here's a delicious pudding I made last November. We use lots of dairy products in Estonia, and drink copious amounts of milk, buttermilk, kefir (and that includes adults). We also eat lots of dairy-based desserts. So it's not surprising that I think of thissimple pudding made with kefir or buttermilk as typically Estonian. For a moment I thought of blogging about it back in November - especially as I quite like the photo - but then I decided it's too humble, you see :) 

However, yesterday I saw a very similar recipe over at Elise's great Simply Recipes site - Buttermilk Pudding - so I thought I hop on the buttermilk pudding bandwagon and post my recipe as well (I actually used kefir to make this particular raspberry pudding, but buttermilk would work just as well). My version isn't as creamy and rich as the one over at Simply Recipes, but it is made with delicious (home-made) raspberry jam. Of course, you can use other type of jam, if you don't fancy the raspberry one.

Did you know that kefir is good for you? The friendly bacteria in kefir can aid in lactose digestion as a catalyst, making it more suitable than other dairy products for those who are lactose intolerant. It can also suppress an increase in blood pressure and reduce cholesterol levels.

Kefir or buttermilk pudding with raspberry jam
(Keefiritarretis maitsva moosiga)
Serves 4 to 6

500 ml (2 cups) kefir or buttermilk
300 g raspberry jam
6 gelatine leaves
4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) water, heated

Place gelatine leaves into a bowl of cold water and soak for 5 minutes. Heat the 4 Tbsp of water. Squeeze the soaked gelatine leaves lightly, then stir into and dissolve in the heated water.
Mix kefir/buttermilk and jam in a bowl. Pour in the gelatine mixture and stir thoroughly.
Divide the pudding between small dessert glasses or ramekins. 
Cover with clingfilm/plastic wrap and place into the refridgerator for at least 4 hours to set.
Follow RecipesDream