Loading

Momos, Fried Momos and a Birthday Bash!

Today is very special to us as its Konda's Birthday! The birthday baby was all excited and couldn't sleep much and got up early too. She turns 8 today, and dislikes being called a baby and carries herself very mature. I was really sad when I realized she didn't ask for a treat to her school friends as she does every year. It is so hard to accept our kids being all grown up! I remember a time when I used to bake for such occasions and hope sometime in future I get back to it!

Though her cousins had planned to be staying here till her birthday they left rather early due to other reasons. So plans were very much restricted with the family. The boys were all so sweet in wishing their sister birthday greetings. And infact wanted a similar dress as hers! The boys are somehow fond of Konda's dresses. I guess they are so bored with their routine dress patterns. Amma always made my birthdays very special and used to make Gulab Jamun, which was my favorite growing up. Guess its been ages since I had one. It was pretty late when we went to bed, discussing with Konda on her plans. I was insisting her tell me what she wants as in some sweet. She never being a person to eat anything in excess, was perplexed to choose something. She finally narrowed it to Payasam, with a judgmental point to be made as how her Ammamma makes. Well that's a tough yardstick for me to be measured. Still I tried and I carried some for my colleagues who licked the last bit off the bowl. I was satisfied that it must've been good.


We had a great time but most times yes, of course it was tough managing all the kids around. I made PBM and Parotta as its Konda's favorite and the party went way down late.

Coming to the Momos, these I prepared yesterday. Ever since I knew about the Momos, they have been on my list to make. Finally hubby dear forced me to get down to business, by forwarding few links for me to refer. I finally came up with my own version of the stuffing after reading on them. Not sure if this is the traditional stuffing, but I ensured I followed what was common among all links. Though I simply loved the pictures, I was told that the wrappers were hard!

I made with Mutton Keema with home made wrappers made with All purpose flour. When I got down making the moulds, I remembered Gudumulu, but that's with Rice flour and this is wheat. Dad said he had only eaten Veg Momos and the outer wrappers were extremely soft and thin. Hubby dear said the same. So I fried some to get the fried Momos, which I guess were little better.

Photobucket


So I need advice from the Momos experts on getting the correct wrapper, I am sure going to make it again!

I made Momos with Mutton Keema stuffing, and Tomato Achaar as the dip!

Momos with Mutton Keema!

For the wrapper:

All purpose flour - 1 & 3/4 cup (makes about 9 medium sized momos)
Salt to taste
Water to kneading

For the stuffing:

Mutton Keema - 250 gms
Onions - 1 medium
Green Chillies - 4 long
Tomatoes - 1 medium
Ginger - 4 -5 flakes
Garlic - 3"
Fresh Coriander leaves chopped handful
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Coarse pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 -2 tsp
Salt to taste

Photobucket


Method to prepare:

For the Momos:

Take the flour and mix with salt and enough water to get a pliable dough. Let it rest for an hour, with covered muslin cloth.

Before making the dumplings, knead again. divide into equal balls.

For the stuffing.

Wash and let the keema drain.

Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin seeds, then sauté in finely chopped ginger and garlic. I used grated ginger and garlic. Sauté well.

Then add finely chopped onions, along with green chilies, coriander leaves.Fry well till the onions start sweating. Add the chopped tomatoes along with all the spice powders except pepper. Simmer for 5 mins, till the tomatoes turn soft.

Add the drained keema, combine everything well. Simmer for 10 mins, for the meat to get cooked. When the meat is done, sprinkle the pepper and mix again.

Allow it to cool down before you start making the Momos.


Photobucket


For the Momos:

Dust the rolling board, take one ball, roll out a circle of 5" diameter or you can flatten in your palm as how you will make your stuffed parathas. Only difference being you don't flatten them. Observe the pattern in most Momos, you can stick to opposite layer as in pleats once you have the stuffing within.

Place the stuffing in the center and cover together. Place the Momos in a vessel and steam for 10 - 15 minutes or till done. I used my Idli vessel, guess it will work out well.
Fried Momos:

Once the Momos are steamed, you can deep fry them in oil and you have another tasty dish on hand.

These are normally served with Tomato Achaar or dip.

Will post the Achaar later. I hope to get enlighten on the making soft Momos, so let me know!
Follow RecipesDream