Loading

Bottle Gourd Curry ~ Sorakaya Kura!

It feels good to be back to regular blogging! My PC got bonkers and I had all my pictures stored in there. Well that left me without any picture to talk about. And last one week was really hectic with both Mithai Mela and the Indian Cooking Challenge. The polling just got over! On top with work becoming even difficult I was wondering how I am still sane! One thing I miss most is not recording what my kids are up. The boys have started speaking a language of their own, its really so sweet to hear it. Chinnu speaks like a foreigner would speak telugu and Peddu speaks a typical marwari way! Both so sweet to hear, I have even recorded their conversations during their bed time. They both say "nanni" for "me or I". Daddy has given up trying to correct them. But we have started speaking their language.

Every other time, Peddu would come and tell me, "Deppu ooruki podam (We will go for trip tomorrow)" so last night while I was trying to make them sleep, he suddenly started telling me this line, I readily agreed that we shall. Then he said we all will go to his aunts place. "Oruu bavyuntundi," I asked how we will go, he replied "Naadichi Podam" (by walking), I again asked how?.he immediately stood up and showed walking. And said that by walking it will be best! Gosh imagine walking all the way across the border to Andhra! I guess in a child's mind, everything is so simple.

Anyway I am happy to share this simple recipe with Sorakaya / Bottle gourd, that was so common at my parents place. Dad likes this a lot and it used to frequent the table quite often. Hubby dear doesn't like it much, so you can imagine how rarely this figured on our table. But this time, he had no option out!

Photobucket

Soraya Kaya Kura

Ingredients Needed:

Soraya Kaya - 250 gms
Mustard seeds+ Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Onion - 1 medium
Garlic - 2 - 3 flakes
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 - 2 tsp
Groundnut powder - 1 -2 tsp


Photobucket

Method to Prepare:

Wash and peel bottle gourd. Cut into 2" size pieces.

Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds along with curry leaves. Then saute onions till light brown.

Then add sorakaya pieces along salt and turmeric. Simmer with lid for 5 mins.

Once the veggie gets little soft, add chili powder, coriander powder. Simmer again with lid covered for 5 mins. Fry well.

Then add 1 cup of water and allow it to get cooked slowly. Simmer again for 10 mins. Finally add groundnut powder and can be removed immediately.

Serve with chapati or rice.
Follow RecipesDream