Loading

Rajma Masala!

I think Rajma Masala for ever will kindle those memories back to mind. The first time I actually remembering giving this lentil some thought and enjoying it, was when I had it at my friends place. She is a Gujarati and her mom was an awesome cook. Previous to that I don't' remember Amma making this or had she even made, I may not have actually paid much attention. But after eating at my friend's place, I was so much in love with that dish. I must have asked her many times for the recipe and recreated it at home. Though it never came as good as the first time. I finally concluded that certain dishes require a touch!

Do you think so? Well I am not sure, but it sure looked that way to me. The many times I made this dish at home, everybody liked it. But I was never satisfied as it didn't' match my first impression. Anyways after getting this blog I always thought I should get in touch with my friend to get the recipe again.


Photobucket

Meanwhile I have only my own way of making this simple gravy!

Ingredients Needed:

For pressure cooking

Rajma - 1 cup
Clove - 1
Cardamon - 1
Garlic julienne 0 2"

For the gravy

Onions - 1 medium
Tomato - 2 medium
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Black cardamon - 1
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1 small
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish



Photobucket

Method to prepare:

Wash and soak Rajma overnight. Before cooking, wash again, add fresh water along with the clove, cardamon and ginger julienne. Add enough water to cover the rajma and pressure cook till tender. It normally takes about 5 - 6 whistles for me.


Meanwhile, heat a pan with oil and add the cumin, bay leaf and black cardamon. Saute for a min, then add the onions.

Fry till the onions start turning brown. Add the tomato puree, along with the chili powder, garam masala, salt and turmeric. Simmer for 10 mins with lid.

Remove lid, add the cooked Rajma. Bring to boil and cook till you get a thick gravy.

Serve with rotis or rice.

Note: You can remove the ginger julienne from the rajma.

If you want your gravy to be thicker, mash handful of rajma before adding to the gravy.

Sending this to Apu who is hosting the wonderful MLLA twelfth edition, MLLA is the brain child of the lovely Susan!

Follow RecipesDream