Loading

Kala Chana Aloo Sabzi ~ Black Chickpea Potato Gravy!

Today's recipe is going to be Kala Chana Aloo Sabzi. But before that let me explain how I came about the dish! Its really funny even if I say that myself.

There I was flying back to home, with thoughts like "I really think we should have more hours in a day!" "Hope kids will give me time enough to make the dinner" etc etc. I had a sojourn in between to pick up Konda. As always when I enter the house, I enter with trepidations of things that's going to happen. Of course it is not so terrible as my statement might mean. But imagine two little sweet terrors, include my daughter too, always coming up with something new to terrorize us.

The latest fad at home at the moment was their own pictures in the computer. Hubby dear had to give in to their wish and he had the videos on. All taken when they were a year old. They were ooohhhh, awww..themselves, calling out paappa looking at the pictures and videos. And as expected, instead of thinking what to make for dinner, I got engrossed seeing the nostalgic pictures. I really wonder how kids change so much. It was really so sweet remembering those days.

The entire family sat watching the screen, while insane thoughts were ticking away in my mind. It was nearly closer to dinner time, when I had to arouse them from their fixation. When I asked the kids again their choice for dinner, pat came the answer Poori! Ok it was that, what to make the side dish? Quick dishes have always been Egg kurma, but thought I would make something else.

Something caught my attention on the table, and I opened to see that Athamma had boiled kala channa for salad. Well well, at that point of time who is going to eat a salad? Remember that we had a huge stock of this after my pantry raid? So Athamma seem to have decided to make some salad out of it. Kala Chana Sabzi on its own didn't really sound fancy. So checked if I had potatoes! Gosh those were not around. Gave a shout out to Amma to throw some potatoes down. And bang in 15 mints, the sabzi was ready!

In all my haste, didn't have time to click the picture. So will ensure I upload them when I make them again next week!

Photobucket

Kala Channa Aloo Sabzi

Soaking time and Pressure cooking time for Chana : Overnight + 15 mins in pressure cooker
Preparation time : 5- 6 mins for gravy
Cooking time : 15 - 20 mins
Serves - 3 adults
Cuisine - North Indian


Ingredients Needed:

Kala Chana - 1 cup
Potatoes - 2 medium
Onions - 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomatoes - 2 medium, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 -2 tsp
Coriander leaves few

Method to prepare:

  1. If you have pre cooked chana, its very convenient, else soak the chana over night and pressure cook till tender.
  2. Heat a non stick pan with oil. Sauté onions till they start sweating, add the ginger garlic paste. Sauté till its cooked well. This takes about a 2 mints.
  3. Peal the potatoes skin and dice into 1 inch cubes. Add to the pan. Stir well and add salt. Cover with a lid, so that the potatoes get cooked fast.
  4. Then add the tomatoes, turmeric powder. Simmer for 5 minutes till the tomatoes are soft.
  5. When the tomatoes are soft, add in chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.Combine everything well and again simmer for 5 mins with lid closed.
  6. Then add in the boiled kala channa, mix and cook in high for 2 mins. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes or till the gravy is thick enough.
  7. Finally before switching off, sprinkle the garam masala and coriander leaves. cook for 1 min and remove from flame.
  8. Serve with Roti, Rice or Pooris!

Notes: The potatoes will get cooked while its simmered. If you are pressure cooking the kala channa same time, please use the water for the gravy.


Photobucket

This sure was one quick dish to make. The soft aloo were a great combo with the kala channa.

Will surely update the picture in the coming week! --Done!

Before I leave, just wanted to update that we are off for a 3 day weekend trip to our inlaws place! The kids are highly thrilled, so are we. Would share the pictures and details once I am back!

Till then, enjoy your weekend!


Follow RecipesDream