Loading

Whole Grain Oatmeal Waffles

My kids absolutely love having big breakfasts so much that my two older daughters will fight over who gets to make it. The busy-ness of the school year keeps it mostly to the weekends, but now in the summertime I've had to put my foot down and limit them to only a couple times a week. I felt like such a mean mom limiting their cooking time, but I found my waistline just wasn't handling the breakfast battles very well.
This whole-grain waffle recipe I found though is one you won't have to feel guilty about. It has almost no fat, is filled with healthy grains, and when topped with fresh fruit you've got yourself a healthy breakfast feast. And best of all--- my family LOVES them. They have absolutely no idea that they're healthy, they just know they taste good and fill them up! You need to try this simple recipe!




The ingredients:
Click here for printable recipe.

2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 Tbs. molasses
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
milk, as needed to thin batter

In a large bowl, mix eggs and buttermilk. Add oats and mix well. Stir in molasses and oil. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; stir into the egg mixture. If batter becomes too thick, thin with a little milk.

Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto a greased preheated waffle maker. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. Serve hot, topped with fresh fruit and maple syrup or whipped cream.

To make pancakes: Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles begin to form on top of pancake. Yield 5 waffles (7-inches) or about 15 standard sized pancakes.

Enjoy!
Follow RecipesDream