Loading

Kadambam Dosa, Mixed Lentil Crape ~ 101 Dosa Varieties!

Maybe I have already written about it. Yet reading Manisha's post on memories, kindled me so much that all those memories came flooding in. If you are regular here, then you would know my memories are all always associated with food. I may sound so obsessed with food, but then hey I am! The other day I was chatting with a friend, who said she didn't want to come across as being obsessed with just food and nothing else. Well I said that's the only reason why I ended up creating so many blogs but in this you will get to read what food I cook everyday to feed my family.

With hardly any time to cook fancy stuff, we get so carried away. Be it new or those treasures from childhood days. Every time I meet my parents, somehow food creeps into our discussions and Dad will remember something. Amma would then remark, "Aww, its been so long since I made it!" And then of course, there are few dishes that she makes only for particular occasions. Like the Borugulu undrallu / Poha Laddu that's made for Navaratri or the Poli for Ugadi. It took lot of efforts from my side to convince her otherwise. But during childhood, I have always longed for those days to come.

Another favorite dish was the delicious Adais that Amma makes. What's was so special about these you ask? Well I have always been in love with Adais. And Dad never liked it. So it rarely found its way to our table when he was at home. Since his job involved traveling during my childhood, Amma used to make it for us then. Apart from the fact that I used to feel guilty for liking something Dad didn't like, I had my brother for company. We used to feel bad for enjoying without Daddy. But I guess our love for these Adais were more than our guilt struck conscious. Though we complained why Dad never like these delicious crapes, which we devoured with coconut chutney!

But as my bad luck would have it, hubby dear doesn't like it too. For all that Dosa lover I am, I am bound by resistrictions in not making the many varieties I want to. And ever since then, when I sniff these Adais at a place that I may cross or see this on the menu card, I remember all those nights spent longing at my Amma's side in the kitchen, watching her make those delicious Adais. Not to help things, almost all south Indian bloggers feature these! Each one as tempting as the other, I am left slobbering incapable of making it!

Photobucket


So memories of those nights keep me company, when every time it used to be the same, the griddle would not heat up enough or the batter wouldn't be thin enough to get those thin crapes. The first few would not be given to us. When thin paper crapes made their way, its usually to my plate, topped with ghee and cooked over slow flame. The white coconut chutney, tempered with curry leaves, crunchy Urad dal, yum they make such perfect dip for these Adais. Sree used to tell Amma that she has to make a big bowl of chutney as we used to whip it clean. So much so that Amma would not have anything left for her.

Memories, memories are what carry us forward. And I feel so cherished because my parents always made us feel so special, no matter what happened. Even now they do!

Later when Amma realized that we always miss Dad during such dinners, she started making it on regular days, with something special for him. He used to see us enjoy and keep smiling at us. I think those Adais tasted awesome more because of that!

Its been a while since I made these. It was rectified with Athamma remembering these and said we should. As expected, we had the Dosa batter on hand too. While authentic Adai has a different proportions, this version is more healthy as we have included as many lentils and legumes as we could! Its packed with protein and great taste.

Since too many ingredients have gone in, the ladle used is very small. Measures about 15 gms appx (1 tbsp). Everything included yielded about 8 - 10 doses of regular size. Also as many dals have been used, this is called Kadambam, which in Tamil means a mix of different things and usually refers to flowers.

Photobucket


Kadambam Dosa, Mixed Lentil Crape or Pancake!

Ingredients Needed:

Urad dal - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
Channa Dal / Bengal Gram - 1 tbsp
Pesara pappu / Yellow moong dal - 1 tbsp
Dried Soy bean - 1 tbsp
Shelled Raw Ground nut - 1 tbsp
Toor dal - 1 tbsp
Rajma / Kidney Beans - 1 tbsp
Dried Peas - 1 tbsp
Idly Rice - 1 tbsp
Fried Gram Dal / Pottu kadalai - 1 tbsp
Dried Corns kernels about 10 nos
Almonds / Badam - 4 nos
Fenugreek Seeds / Methi - 5 - 6 nos
Salt to taste
Oil for making dosas

Method to prepare:

  • Wash and soak all lentils in enough water for at least 6 hrs. Since hard lentils are also used, soaking for long helps.
  • After 6 hrs, drain the water and grind in a grinder as you do with your regular dosa batter. The stones might fumble for a while. But pat them gentle, by adding water slowly. Let it grind to a smooth paste, by adding just enough water to get the consistency of the dosa batter.
  • Remove to a big bowl and allow it to ferment for 2 hrs. Then refridgerate till use.
  • I had the batter done by 7.30 in the night. It was kept in room temperature till 10.30 or so. It went into the fridge and took it out by 7 in the morning. It was all fine when I made it by 9.30 am.
  • Heat a dosa tawa. If you are using a non stick tawa, there is no need to spray or apply oil. Check for thinness. The crapes come out well only if its thin and can be easily spread.
  • So add little more water if required. Once the tawa is hot, simmer to medium, pour one ladle full of batter and spread in a circular shape. Sprinkle oil and allow it to get cooked on all sides. Let the flame be in medium else your dosas will not be crispy.
Notes:
  • Normally people don't like lentil dosas because its soft and not the crispy ones like the rice based dosa. But when its cooked in low flame and spread very thin, you will get crispy ones.
  • If you are ok with adding a little more of rice flour, then you can add about a tbsp of rice flour.
  • If your kids are fine with these, you can also add ghee over it and serve.
  • Finely chopped onions, cumin seeds make a great topping for these lentil dosas.

Sending these to dear Manisha for her event on Memories, though she says she wants us to cook something we haven't eaten for over a decade, I am still sending this. After all whats fun if we don't break the rule!..:)..I hope Manisha won't say to these lovely crapes!

MLLA15Logo375 And also to Sia, who is hosting another favorite event of mine, MLLA15 at Monsoon Spice, an event started by lovely Susan, The Well Seasoned Cook!

Follow RecipesDream