Loading

VeganMoFo #6: Recipe Round-Up - Vegan Planet

Who else is experiencing a bit of VeganMoFo landslide effect? My unread items in Google Reader are in the hundreds, and I haven't even added all the blogs yet! But I will persist, even if I am reading them into the new year. ;) I am also trying to comment on as many blogs as I can!

Tonight I am going for an old and easy favourite - a selection of dinners from Vegan Planet. I still have so many photos awaiting upload from this book! Lets see what tasty noms lay in store...


Adzuki Beans and Winter Squash Saute is incredibly simple to make, with just a few ingredients and seasoning, but is incredibly tasty! I served it with some brown rice and sauteed broccolini.


On its own Vermicelli, Chickpeas and Vegetables with Creamy Curry Sauce is a little bit on the bland side, until you serve it with some Three Fruit Chutney! What a great combination. The first time I made this I used 200g of fried rice noodles and it made 4 stupidly large servings, the second time I used 100g and it was a bit too saucy. So probably 150g of dried rice noodles or there abouts is the right amount.


This delicious combination - Old-Fashioned Baked Beans, Skillet Cornbread with Smoky Chiles, Red Flannel Cole Slaw and some greens for good measure. The beans were amazing - a great spicy and rich sauce. My mum loves all things baked beans and declared this her favourite recipe so far! The cornbread was smoky and spicy and delicious as well. Great toasted the next day with some vegan margarine. I had just received on order of Mexican foods in the post so this was the first time I was using canned chiptoles in adobo - yum! The salad was quite nice - interesting and with a cooling sweetness. I was feeling lazy so after cooking the beets I just shredded them through the food processor with the rest of the vegetables rather than cutting them into matchsticks by hands and it was all awesome.


Belgian-Style Seitan Stew with Dark Beer provided a lesson for me in which vegan beer I could buy. I ended up getting Toohey's Old (the recipe called for dark beer). I found this a bit sweet, next time I would decrease the sugar and/or increase the amount of beer.


This was a great combination! Marjoram-Scented Artichoke and Chickpea Stew served with Focaccia with Black Olives and Rosemary. The stew is fantastic! It uses the Super-Rich Vegetable Stock as a base and it is well worth making this rather than using powdered stock - it has a great flavour! This was also the first time I had made focaccia. I used the Traditional Pizza Dough recipe, which worked great. Together (with a green salad, of course) it was amazing.

Cute Cat Photo of the Blog


This is Pepper. Pepper was the first cat I ever speyed, while I was on rotations during my final year of vet school! She was a kitten the clinic was rehoming. It was a bit scary, but I am happy to report that everything went well and a few days later she was off to her new home!
Follow RecipesDream