Loading

Pachai Milagu Kara Kulambu ~ Green Peppercorns in Tamarind Gravy!

Tamarind based gravies like Puli Kolambu, Vatha Kolambu, Vendakai Kara Kolambu to name some, are so famous in Tamil Nadu. These basically get their tangy taste by adding Tamarind pulp to the the base. Though I don't make this gravy that often, as hubby dear is not so fond of sour dishes, Athamma loves them. So when hubby dear was not in town, I try to make this.

Photobucket

And a new ingredient came to my attention when my help gave me handful of fresh whole peppers. I remember seeing these still on trees during my visit to Kerala and seeing them on my oven, took me back to those days. I have never used fresh peppercorns, so wasn't sure how to go about using them other than drying them up and use.

It was then that I was suggested that I make a Kara Kolambu with this. I was imagining how aromatic and pungent it was going to be. Yet I was not ready the for the final sensation that hit me on tasting this.

During my last vegetable shopping, I was so tempted to buy a lovely cauliflower, which apparently is still lying in the fridge. I searched for quite a few new cauliflower recipes, not wanting to let the season pass away without me trying something new. So hoping I should be trying out some soon!

Meanwhile check out this tangy kolambu fit to arose a dying tongue!

Photobucket


Pachai Milagu Kara Kulambu ~ Green Peppercorns in Tamarind Gravy!

Ingredients Needed:

Fresh Peppers - 3 -4 with the wine
Onions - 2 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Tamarind pulp - 2 -3 tbsp
Curry leaves - few
Garlic - 3 -4 cloves
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 -3 tsp

Method to prepare:

Wash the fresh peppers ensuring the corns don't fall off, keep aside.

Heat a pan with oil, pop the mustard, then add curry leaves. add chopped garlic and onions. Fry till the onions are brown. Then add finely chopped tomatoes along with salt and turmeric.

Add the chili powder, coriander powder and sambar powder. Mix everything and allow it to cook for 5 mins in sim.

Then add the tamarind pulp and 1 cup of water. Bring to boil. When the gravy reaches the consistency you want, drop in the fresh peppers and cover with a lid and cook on slow flame for 5 mins.

Serve with steaming rice


Photobucket

Notes
  • The fresh pepper needs to be added only in the final stage and it gets very pungent otherwise. Even one peppercorn is very hot and goes to your head.
  • This dish can be stored for couple of days in room temperature.
Follow RecipesDream