Loading

Sakara Pongal with Sprouted Whole Moong Dal

As with every festival, this Sankranti had me thinking what new dish I should make. Whatever new dish that may come to mind, I will have to make the star dish of the festival, that being the Sakara Pongal. And innovation had its play with Athamma telling me that we can prepare it with whole Moong dal instead of the split one and make it more healthy by using sprouted whole Moong dal. I normally prepare as how Amma makes, with Split Moong dal and handful of Channa dal. I especially like biting on that hard tidbits of channa dal in between.

Athamma had the sprouts done the previous night, they were just sprouting. So it was all convenient for us to make the Sakkara pongal. I found Athamma very nostalgic about her mom and was going on telling me on the different dishes her Mom used to make. Theirs being a big family, the entire cooking process starts well ahead in the morning. As a Bogi special, they used to make Sesame topped Jowar Breads, with Mixed Lentil Gravy. True to that Athamma made these two for our Bogi dinner. I could see that she was missing her mom and all those dishes that she no longer makes at home.


Photobucket

The other things we made were the Jowar Laddos with Jaggary. This was really something so new that I was really wonder struck. Did you know that Jowar also pops as the Corn? Atleast I didn't know and was so amazed that such wonderful preparation was also rustic in origin. Athamma said since Jowar was a staple grain at their place, this found its way in all forms. What I loved so much were the jowar pops as in pop corns! More on it when I post the recipe.

Next laddo that we made was the Bajra or Sadda ladoo. With the laddos that I ended up making, I can almost have a separate section dedicated to the lovely Indian Laddos on spot!

Then came the pineapple Halwa. I have been wanting to make Pineapple Rava Kesari, maybe next time.



Photobucket




Sprouted Whole Moong Dal Sakara Pongal

Ingredients Needed:

Rice - 1 cup
Jaggary - 1 cup
Sprouted Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Water - 3 cups
Cardamom a pinch
Ghee - 2 - 3 tsp
Roasted Cashew and Raisin for garnish.
Fresh grated Coconut - 2 -3 tsp (opt)

Method to prepare:

For making sprouts:

Follow the sprout process and store in fridge until you make this. Ideally its best to get it sprouted the day before as we want moong that just started sprouting.

For making the Pongal:

Wash the moong dal and keep aside.

Wash and soak the rice for 15 - 20 mins. Then pressure cook the rice along with the sprouted moong dal till it is soft.

In a separate pan, melt the jaggary and remove the scum if any. Then bring to boil, then simmer and allow it to cook for 5 - 7 mins till you get a thick syrup consistency.

Once the pressure off, remove lid, you will find the husk of the moong dal on the top. Remove them and mix well.

Pour the melted jaggary over the cooked rice and mix well. In a small pan, melt the ghee and roast the nuts and raisins till the raisins balloon up. Pour over the rice mix along with the ghee and mix well.

A healthy sakara pongal in offering!

Enjoy on any festival!


Do be sure to check out the Quick Paneer Parathas that I sent for lunch yesterday for Konda

And these tasty Onion Dosas my new post on BC!


Follow RecipesDream