Loading

Peas Stuffed Indian Flatbread ~ Mattar Paratha Recipe two ways, Step by Step Recipe!

Sometimes you follow traditions because you have always followed them. It's got to do more with the fact that you feel nice knowing everything is same and nice. Though change is the only constant thing in life, you feel good assuming things are the same. How I wish it was so!

Though I decide I should never remember this day or make a big thing of it, Konda has been reminding me since the month beginning. Infact she is paining something for me, which is partial showed to me too. But Hubby dear has given me strict orders to act surprised and happy on receiving it. I tell him that I can hardly know how to act surprised, happy that I am.

Coming back to traditions, I have unwittingly created one by deciding that stuffed parathas will be made around this time. Infact true to the thought I searched through my Index, which by the way still needs to be updated, for one that I have not talked about. Going up and down, struck me something pretty in green is missing. I remembered Peas Paratha from all those years ago.

I remembered that period after I completed my under graduation and before I started working, Best are some time never spoken about, but still those memories come back and you have no control on the thoughts that flash across. I remember that time quite well, as I remember every single other day as well. During that time, our neighbours had two girls. The elder one was a medico and was away, while the younger was still in school. The younger one R, was with whom I spent most times. And Peas Paratha reminds me of her Aunty, her mom.

R was mostly into North Indian food, wouldn't like anything else. During the peas season when Aunty was wondering what to do with that, we decided we will make a paratha out of it. So it was. And it was such a hit that we only had Peas paratha for a long long time to come.

But the fact is, its been long time since I made this. And wondering which one to make, Peas paratha came to mind. How nice! Since I had fresh peas on hand, it was very easy to plan to make this. But instead of dinner, I made it for breakfast on the day that was going to be last one of the year.

I make it two ways. One blended with the dough, the other stuffed. You can add the same masala for both ways. Though I changed a bit to differentiate them.

Peas Stuffed Indian Flatbread ~ Mattar Paratha Recipe

Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Cuisine : North Indian

Peas Stuffed Paratha

For the dough

Wheat flour 1 cup
Salt to taste
Water to knead

For the Peas Stuffing.

Cooked Peas -1 cup, pureed
Green Chili paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Amchor - 1/4 tsp

Method to prepare:

Knead the flour to a soft pliable dough and keep aside.

If you are using fresh peas, puree it to smooth paste. 

Fry in a pan along with salt and all the other ingredients till you get a dry paste. Allow it to cool and make into small balls.
Pinch a lemon size balls, press the sides of the ball to thinner and place the peas stuffing in the middle, bring the outer layer towards the center and enclose the stuffing.

Dust the balls with flour and roll out into disc equal on all sides. 

 

Heat a pan and cook on both sides by applying oil.

Peas Paratha Recipe

For the dough

Wheat flour 1 cup
Salt to taste
Water to knead

For the Peas Masala

Cooked Peas -1 cup, pureed
Onions -1 small
Green Chili paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp

Method to prepare

In a wide mouthed bowl, take the flour, pureed peas, onions, all the spice masala along with salt. Knead to a soft dough. Let it rest for 10 mins

Pinch out equal balls of dough, roll out by dusting in flour into disc of 6 diameter. Once the tawa is hot, grease with oil, cook these parathas on high flame, making sure you don't burn it.


 Cook on both sides with a tsp of oil. When you see golden spots on top, the parathas are done.


Serve with curds/yogurt and pickles!



Have a great weekend!
Follow RecipesDream