Loading

Strawberry Filled Oatmeal Coconut Muffins

The best part about cold weekend mornings is the insatiable need I feel to bake hot breakfasts for my family.   I found the recipe for these moist, flavorful muffins in an old church cookbook .  They were a fun, unique way to start the day, and I loved that they were wholesome, not-overly-sweet, and easy to make.  And my family's favorite part?  The surprise strawberry filling!   Yum!!!
 Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

1 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour  (I used 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup coconut
Strawberry preserves (or whatever flavor you prefer)

Combine oats in buttermilk and let soak at least 30 minutes.

Sift four, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Set aside.  Blend oil, brown sugar, egg, and coconut and add to oatmeal mixture.

Blend well.  Add dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened.  Spoon into greased muffin tins.  Spoon a small teaspoon strawberry preserves in center of each muffin
 (don't mind my ugly looking muffin pan. I've had it since we got married 16 years ago.)

and cover preserves with a little more dough.

Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes.


Makes 12 muffins.  Enjoy!
Follow RecipesDream