Loading

Banana Cookies

When my 7-year-old son came up to me the other day and asked if he could make something, I just couldn't resist his genuine excitement he had for cooking something with Mommy.  I asked him what he wanted to make and since he had no idea,  he just grabbed my new favorite cookbook and picked the very first recipe in the dessert section--Banana Cookies.  The recipe did not call for chocolate chips and mentioned making a cream cheese frosting for the tops, but Adam wanted chocolate chips, so we used chocolate chips.  :) These were a soft, nicely textured cookie (even with the 100% whole wheat flour I used).  The kids were excited and eagerly devoured them, and, well, in past times I would have eaten several, but I'm trying to be good, so I limited myself to one.  We're definitely putting this recipe into the cookie arsenal.  Yum! 


Click here for printable recipe. (link fixed) 

The ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup smashed bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour ( I used all whole wheat flour)

1 pkg. (12-oz) chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:  Cream shortening and sugar.  Blend in egg and then add in other ingredients.

Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy. 
How good were the cookies?  Worth a big cheesy grin!  

NOTE:  If you opt to go without the chocolate chips, try  frosting them with a cream cheese icing.
Follow RecipesDream