Loading

baking with my mom.



Baking with my mom is always a treat. Just being in the kitchen with her leaves me with that special, familiar energy that inspires my cooking and raises the bar just a bit. She taught me how to cook nearly everything - from knowing how to peel a clove of garlic, make a soufflé rise, and add flavour in at every stage of the cooking.

But I don't get to cook with her very often any more. Living on separate continents, we chat about food during our weekly phone calls, sharing what we've been cooking and enjoying. She sends me food magazines from home, and I tell her about the amazing London restaurants I've been lucky enough to eat in. It's a small but significant compensation for the time spent apart.

Today, my mom is cooking for my older sister and nephew. She mentioned she'd be making a plum skillet cake from last month's Martha Stewart Living, and by the time she'd told me more about it, I realised I'd also bought plums this week and hadn't yet decided what to do with them. So there I was, making the same cake as my mom on the same day, in different kitchens on different continents. I think it tasted a little nicer because I knew she'd be doing the same as me, creaming the butter, slicing the plums, peering in the oven at a golden, puffy cake.

Find the recipe here.
Follow RecipesDream