Loading

A small trip to Spain for Gazpacho

The theme: A culinary trip around the world - Part I
Today's recipe:  Gazpacho
The twist to the recipe: Crab meat + Cilantro 

In my quest to try new recipes and get out of the conventional way of fixing dinner (meat and potatoes); I started to look for simple yet delicious and gourmet style recipes that will leave my family and friends wanting for more.  This is when I realized, that in order to so, I had to take a small trip around the world and look for other ways of making food taste great, while learning and shopping for ingredients that I had never used before.  The result? A small trip to Spain. 

Gazpacho is a cold Spanish tomato-based raw vegetable soup, originating in the southern region of Andalusia.  In Andalusia, most Gazpacho recipes typically include stale bread, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic, olive oil, wine vinegar, and salt, and some add seafood as a garnish. Although all are great ingredients, I decided I would switch some of these around a bit. By still being able to get that Gazpacho flavour and taste of raw veggie soup, I created a great meal that truly hit the spot.


Gazpacho is fairly easy to make and its really yummy. In my Gazpacho, I decided to add some fresh slices of avocado and crab meat as well as skip on the bread. Since I can't have a meal without protein, I figured a little seafood and cilantro would make this cold soup pop up with flavour.

For this Gazpacho you will need: (serves 5)
  • 1 cucumber, peeled
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 beefsteak tomatoes (you can also use regular tomatoes)
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
  • 2 cups of tomato juice
  • 2 spoons of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • 1 pound of crab meat
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 spoons of chopped cilantro
  • salt & pepper to taste
Place chunks of the cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro and pepper in a food processor until broken down to 1/4 inch pieces, about 12 pulses, and transfer to a bowl.

Add minced shallot, garlic, sherry vinegar, and tomato juice to the bowl. Stir thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.

Place the Gazpacho in chilled bowls and add slices of the crab meat and avocado as garnish, drizzle with EVOO et Volià! A traditional Spanish dish with a very simple twist, ready to serve.

Hope you enjoy making this delicious cold soup.

Until my next gourmet voyage Foodies.

Buen Provecho,
Foodies Inc. 
Follow RecipesDream