Loading

balsamic for breakfast: aubergine and tomato polenta.



Usually around Wednesday, right when the work week is wearing me out and I'm feeling especially moody, we run out of bread. As a toast-for-breakfast devotee, this is always a bit hard to take. But then, while making lunch the other day, it struck me! I should make a bit of extra polenta and set it aside for tomorrow's breakfast. Then I'd have a bounty of options with which to start my culinary day: polenta with maple syrup and cinnamon, polenta with eggs, polenta with mushrooms.

Rifling through the fridge, I went for whatever I could first get my hands on: aubergine, tomatoes, spinach, and parmesan. Drizzled with a bit of oil and balsamic and a good dose of black pepper - a filling, flavourful, and colourful way to breakfast. That, combined with my usual honeybush tea, and I was a happy girl until lunchtime.

*****
1 cup of cooked polenta, spread 1 inch thick and chilled overnight
1/4 of an aubergine, sliced in crescents
a few tomatoes, halved
a handful of spinach, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
parmesan, salt, and pepper

In a hot skillet, fry your polenta in about 2 tbsp. of olive oil. When golden, after about five minutes, turn over and cook for a further five minutes. Set aside. In the same pan, fry your aubergine until soft, then add your tomatoes and spinach, seasoning with salt and pepper. Take off the heat, and top the polenta with vegetables. Drizzle over the balsamic, oil, and parmesan, and season to taste.
Follow RecipesDream