Loading

Gingerbread Pancakes

   As much as I love a good hearty breakfast, I rarely have time to cook it myself.  Breakfast is almost exclusively a kid-cooked meal in our house.  My kids actually even fight over whose turn it is to fix breakfast and occasionally I even have to forbid them from making something when there have been a few too many syrup soaked meals in a week.    This particular recipe was one my 5-year-old picked out of our church cookbook and whipped together herself (with a little matronly help with reading the recipe and the measuring).  She had heard the word, "Gingerbread" and got so excited there was no need to look further.  These were as simple to make as any other pancake, but the spices and molasses gave it a rich gingerbready flavor that we loved.  I thought it was perfect with a pat of butter and good old fashioned maple syrup, although my teenage daughter really wants to try them with the Cinnamon-Brown Butter-Pecan Topping next time we make them.  Thanks to my friend Cindy for  another great recipe!  

By the way, I'm taking the rest of this week off from blogging and will be back sometime next week! 
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 

Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1-1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup molasses
3 Tbs. oil

Directions:  Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.  Beat together egg and milk in a large bowl.  Stir in molasses and then oil.  Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.



Lightly grease a griddle or skillet.  Pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle and cook until puffed and bubbly, turn and cook until golden.  Enjoy! 

With a name like "Gingerbread Pancakes", we, of course,  had to try and make a pancake shaped like a gingerbread man. 
Follow RecipesDream