Loading

Pasta with Cremini, Asparagus, and Walnuts

This recipe is one I found in a church cookbook from my friend Adelia.  I was pretty sure my hubby and I would enjoy it, but I was a little more nervous about the kids, since both mushrooms and asparagus are ingredients that have the tendency to scare them off sometimes.  Luckily I didn't have anything to worry about....I don't know if it was the kid-friendly noodles or the nuts sprinkled on top or the mild mascarpone cheese flavor, but my kids not only tried it, but ended up devouring it.  I ended up wishing I'd made a one-and-a-half batch of it after my teen son gobbled up way more than his fair share!  I've made it twice more since then (although not with the bacon yet) and they've loved it every time. Thanks Adelia! 

 Click here for printable recipe. 

The ingredients:

1 lb. farfalle pasta
3 Tbs. butter
3/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (8-oz.) package mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese)

1 pinch ground nutmeg
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)

Directions:  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally.  Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.  Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.  Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
 

Add the asparagus and saute until asparagus is crisp-tender. 

Add the noodles.  Stir in  mascarpone cheese and nutmeg and toss until the cheese coats the pasta, add the reserved cooking liquid 1/4 cup at a time to moisten (I normally don't use any water).


Stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.  Season the pasta to taste with salt and pepper.  Mound the pasta in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, crumbled bacon (if desired), and remaining toasted walnuts.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4-5 servings. 
 
Enjoy!
Follow RecipesDream