Loading

Slow Cooker Loose Meat Sandwiches Recipe



I am such a dork that I didn't realize that yesterday was the Super Bowl until Saturday afternoon. I knew it was coming, but in my head I thought there were still a few weeks to go. Because of this, I didn't plan any Super Bowl food---
in fact, on Friday when I woke up feeling kind of sluggish and I'm-coming-down-with-a-cold like, I decided that I was going to eat raw for the next three days. And when I watched my DVR'd Oprah, and it was on "going vegan" for a week, it seemed like A SIGN that I should really do it. 

So I plopped the baby in the stroller and we walked to the local produce market and bought pretty much everything in sight (at least we must have, according to my receipt. DUDE. eating that way costs bank.) Anyway. I came home and made a delightful smoothie of pear, mango, clementine oranges, apple, banana, and kale (and then a bit of water to get it to smoothie-cize). It was actually pretty good.

and I was all geared up to eat/drink nothing but this concoction for the next three days.

You see where I'm going with all this.... right?

yeah. I lasted until about 1/4 through the game and then succumbed to Adam's "Super Nachos" (essentially a few chips loaded with 8 million pounds of cheese, guacamole, and sour cream).

oh well.

I don't really have a segue from that story to this recipe. The first time I heard of Loose Meat Sandwiches was on the Roseanne television show back in the 90s. I forgot all about them until our family friend, Harvey, asked if I had ever made them in the crockpot. When I said I hadn't he told me that they'd work great.

Harvey was right!

The Ingredients.
serves 8
1 pound extra lean ground beef or turkey (the lean is more imp. than the type)
1 onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups beef broth
8 hamburger buns (I used gluten free bread, toasted)
traditional hamburger fixen's (pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, mustard, etc)

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Crumble in the ground meat (it needs to be thawed, or it'll cook in a big clump). Add onion, sugar, spices, mustard, and vinegar. Pour in the beef broth. Mix well until everything is fully incorporated---you may want to use your hands. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir well before serving by scooping with a slotted spoons onto hamburger buns. Top with your desired fixings.

The Verdict.

The meat is juicy and tender with a slight tang from the pickle and mustard. It doesn't taste salty as much as savory---which I was worried about. I've had hamburger-with-gravy sandwiches before and didn't really care for them, but this is not that. The kids loved their dinner, and Adam ate 1 1/2 sandwiches. I served the leftover meat over mashed potatoes with frozen peas the next night.
Thank you for picking out a winner, Harvey!

2008 flashback:


I've got episode 3 of Real Moms Making Real Money (at home, in their pajamas) And How You Can, Too! (gee, steph, nothing like a salacious title...) with Mir Kamin of WouldaCouldaShoulda and WantNot up on stephanieodea.com. Grab a cup of coffee and check it out.

happy monday!
Follow RecipesDream