Loading

potato pancake day.



I must admit, I seem to have forgotten about Pancake Day for a few years. I remember it being a big deal as a child - we'd all have pancake lunches at school and then go home to find that our parents thought we should have pancakes for dinner, which, in most circumstances, is a lot of pancake. But then... crickets. I forgot this day existed. Until this year, when I became acutely aware that the British seem to really like Pancake Day. There's even a run-up to Pancake Day, awash with recipe tips and competitions for the best pancake recipe.



So all this fuss over pancakes got me thinking a lot about, well, pancakes. What kinds do I like? Paper-thin English ones, sprinkled with sugar, or thick, fluffy American ones, doused with maple syrup? Crepes? Latkes? I love all of these. So to start my celebrations early, I made an enormous, crispy, golden batch of potato pancakes. Layered with fried apple and drizzled with Greek yoghurt - the best kind of brunch.

So tell me - what are you eating for pancake day? Classic 'cakes or something more adventurous? Let me know and I just may have to make some more myself.

*****

Potato Pancakes (gluten-free)
Makes enough for two.
2 large potatoes, grated
1/2 onion, grated
3 tbsp. buckwheat flour
a pinch paprika
1 tsp. salt
pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp. milk
olive oil

1. Squeeze the water out of your potatoes and then place the potatoes in a bowl. Add in your onions, buckwheat, paprika, and seasoning and mix well. Stir in your egg and milk until you have a smooth potato batter - it should be very thick. 2. In a hot pan, heat some olive oil and drop heaped spoonfuls of your mixture in to fry. Flatten the spoonfuls into small discs about 1 cm in thickness. After about three minutes or once golden on the bottom, flip and continue to fry until the other side is golden brown. Serve with yoghurt and fried apples.
Follow RecipesDream